FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best DSLR or Mirrorless for video/stills?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Mark
Best DSLR or Mirrorless for video/stills?
on Nov 28, 2017 at 3:10:24 pm
Last Edited By Bob Mark on Nov 28, 2017 at 3:26:10 pm

Hello everyone. I am considering buying a DSLR or mirrorless camera for video and stills. Up until now, I have only owned camcorders for video and DSLR for stills. Do you think any of today's DSLR cameras do both well? Sony is releasing the Alpha a7R III in a few days and the buzz has been favorable. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Bob

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
Re: Best DSLR or Mirrorless for video/stills?
on Nov 28, 2017 at 11:23:26 pm

The GH5 and Sony A7s / A7sII would both be excellent choices. They capture the most color data out of the current crop of cameras. I would stay away from the A7R series, simply because the A7s cameras perform better in low light due to the larger photosites. If you have to have a camera that shoots high res stills, though, I'm sure the A7RIII would do fine. Make sure to get an XLR audio adapter so you can use real mikes - both Sony and Panasonic make one that goes on the hot shoe on top of the camera.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 28, 2017 at 11:44:16 pm

you are kind of inferring that the gh5 has better low light than the a7r, correct?

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Dec 5, 2017 at 10:07:49 pm

you are kind of inferring that the gh5 has better low light than the a7r, correct?

Chris, I didn't mean to imply that--I don't know how GH5 compares to A7RIII in terms of low-light performance. I was pointing out that if I had to be looking at cameras for video, I'd be looking at the A7sII before the A7rIII for that reason.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Dec 6, 2017 at 1:25:58 am

aw, ok yea, the a7riii is the same sensor as the a7rii too anyway, kinda waste of money. and the a7sii has 12 stop dynamic range over the 10 on the gh5 making the a7sii way better for film. I saw a video cut with it with hand to hand combat, no rolling shutter. it was graded to look like a red dragon. low light, dynamic range, film look, I think I'm sold.

a7sii Martial Arts film 4K

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Nov 29, 2017 at 3:22:37 pm

Thanks very much!

Bob

Return to posts index

Kevin Rag
on Dec 2, 2017 at 2:55:21 pm

Hey Bob,
Just to add to what others have said. I was in a similar situation. Used to rent cameras for my shoots, I’m a preditor. Was looking at the A7Sii and the GH5. Went with a GH5. The internal 10 bit 422 recording and 4K 60p weighed heavily in its favour. The brilliant low light performance of the A7Sii didn’t matter that much to me. I’ve used it in the past, but I’m not missing it:)
Bought a Metabones Ultra and a Sigma 18-35 art Canon EF mount. Amazing combination. It captures great videos. The Sigma art 50-100 or the 70-200 would be my next buy:)

K

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Dec 2, 2017 at 11:34:12 pm

Thanks Kevin, for that great info!

Bob

Return to posts index

toke lahti
on Dec 12, 2017 at 7:41:45 pm

I'm thinking about buying a mirrorless camera also.
I want to have more than 8-bit 4:2:0 that my VX1000 had back in 1995.
I guess the only mirrorless cameras with 10-bit are GH5 and BM Pocket.
How does their low light performance compares?

Anybody heard if a7S3 will have 10-bit?
Will BM update Pocket soon?
Is there a Magic Lantern to any mirrorless camera?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]