FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 5D and the like features...

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Heagy
Canon 5D and the like features...
on Jul 16, 2010 at 8:29:28 pm

Like most we are using Canon 5D, 7D GoPro... etc. The problem with these are the lack of Timecode and Reel metadata. I'd like to use CatDV to add TC and Reel. The Reel is no problem, but the Apply Timecode Offset tool will only assign a fixed offset across all clips. Since all of these clips have a 00:00:00 start, if I apply a 1hr offset, each clip now starts a 1hr. I'd like the first clip to start at 1hr and then ascend "record run" style across the rest. This will allow the resulting QT media to match the tape TC we will eventually make.

Another neat feature, I'd like to have, that is part of Canon's FCP log & transfer plug in is the ability to take the source file creation time stamp (Media Date in CatDV) and convert it to a DF timecode. This would allow a course TC Genlock across multiple cameras and be useful for locating shots by TOD.

Last but not least I'd like to define what number in a file name CatDV decides to auto increment when using Bulk Edit. Many times we have numbers early in the file name and CatDV defaults to the first number it sees. Seems to me changing that to the last number would be far more useful.

7162010_shoot_001 will produce a seq like this:

7162011_shoot_001
7162012_shoot_001
7162013_shoot_001

When it should be this:

7162010_shoot_001
7162010_shoot_002
7162010_shoot_003

Thanks
John Heagy
NFL Films

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
Re: Canon 5D and the like features...
on Jul 18, 2010 at 6:06:13 pm

Hi John
All the suggestions seem spot on ..... The DSLR movie workflow has taken CANON by unawares. Your suggestions go along way to making it a professional workflow.

Kevin Duggan
Catdv

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jul 19, 2010 at 12:50:48 pm

Are you still on CatDV 7? We did change Bulk Edit a little while ago (after a query on this forum I think!) so it does exactly as you suggest now and increments the last number, not the first one.

I'm not sure offhand if there's an easy way to apply a new continuous timecode to a list of clips. There might be some way, perhaps using sequences, but I must admit I can't immediately work out how to do it. Perhaps we need to add an option to the Apply Timecode Offset to apply incrementing timecode (in much the same was as Bulk Edit works).

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jul 19, 2010 at 12:52:46 pm

By the way, when working with 5D footage, make sure you copy the .THM file as well as the movie. When you import a movie, if CatDV finds a .THM file it will read all the Exif metadata from that and apply it to the main movie clip.

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jul 19, 2010 at 10:03:00 pm

Hi Rolf and Kevin,

Thanks for considering the ascending TC and creation date>TC.

Just tried the increment and you are right. I've been using 8 for a while... must have been seeing things.

I noticed the Exif data and was wondering where it came from... nice.

Another feature I'd like to see in Bulk Edit is the ability to truncate an existing field by number of positions (beginning and end)

Thanks
John Heagy

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
on Jul 20, 2010 at 7:56:15 pm

Hi John
The Worker....our automation software already does this for you :-)
It does many other things beside.

Check it out on our site. Basically a faceless CATDV that can automate most of your tasks . Think watch folder ... pick up analyse and publish your clips to the server automatically . Build automated workflows make proxies automatically, submit and pick up from Episode, make H.264 clips and ftp them to clients. etc etc

Kevin

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jul 20, 2010 at 9:17:40 pm

Good to know... but truncating fields/filenames would seem to be a basic enough task to warrant inclusion in CatDV as well. Perfect example: I build a filename with the start TC at the end then decide I need to remove it... besides using regex.

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jul 20, 2010 at 10:59:11 pm

Adding a contiguous timecode to multiple clips will be included in 4.1.5. Extending Bulk Edit so you can modify fields in certain ways (truncating them to a particular length, trimming everything after a particular character etc.) will possibly come too but not until a future version. You should already be able to do a lot of operations like that using Search and Replace with a regex, though I realise complex regular expressions aren't necessarily everyone's cup of tea!

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jul 21, 2010 at 7:00:01 pm

Only in Worker then? I haven't used Worker except during our trial. Is it by design that worker includes abilities not found in CatDV at this level? I had assumed they would match and Worker is where multiple operations can be automated and directed via watch folders. Seeing results and prototyping in CatDV before "baking" everything in Worker would be useful.

If contiguous TC is planned please consider "file creation date" to TC as well. This would bring CatDV on par with Canon's Log and Transfer.

FYI... once we get our heads above water here on all the "must be done before week 1 of the season" projects we are planning on a CatDV Server/Worker deployment.

Thanks
John Heagy

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jul 21, 2010 at 9:10:06 pm

No, I'm talking about CatDV 8.1.5, not the worker.

In general you're right and both CatDV and the Worker use exactly the same "engine", though they're driven in quite different ways and so there will be features in one that aren't in the other. The worker is automated and so commands are parametrised, whereas CatDV is user-driven. Many features in CatDV depend on the user manually selecting a range of clips and applying a command to them based on user input and so aren't relevant to the worker, for example.

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jul 21, 2010 at 9:44:24 pm

Excellent news!

I was confused by the 4.1.5 number in your previous response.

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Aug 9, 2010 at 3:31:25 pm

Hey guys, I'm testing some of this footage. (for the Brit's, Annalee got a new T2i) What metadata can I expect from the .THM files? I'm not really seeing it in my "other" columns.

I'll do some tests between what I get from FCP and CatDV but John, what is the main data that you're using?

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Aug 10, 2010 at 9:05:53 am

The THM file is a JPEG image containing Exif metadata so all the usual data (aperture, exposure, focal length, date and time, flash, camera serial number etc.) that you find in an Exif still should be loaded if there's a THM file with the same name as the AVI or MOV movie.

Take a look at the Metadata (Media) field in the Other tab. If the metadata seems to be missing, send us a copy of the CatDV Error Log from the import so we can investigate. You do need the "Look for metadata in XML files" option checked (that option is slightly misnamed, it means from XML or other sidecar files).

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Aug 11, 2010 at 3:47:36 pm

PS. I believe it's called the EOS 550D in Europe, same thing as the Rebel T2i but completely different name. Since neither name exactly rolls off the tongue you have to wonder why they bother!

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Aug 11, 2010 at 3:55:47 pm

yes rolf, this is the practice within the industry, to call something blabla in the USA, and call it albalb in other countries. In asia it's the 5d as well and I have one and have noticed strange things about the clips outta that cam when in CATDV, but nothing to write home about. Anyway, it's a great camera and that, along with a 7d, has convinced our in-house filmer that's all he needs to shoot music vids. they are great for field work too so he claims. cheers,
jigs

Phoenix Studios Nepal: A small A/V Production House in Kathmandu.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]