FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hi all, need some advice...

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jiggy Gaton
Hi all, need some advice...
on Jul 14, 2010 at 7:47:35 am

Hi all here in CATDV. Well, my name is at the top of this forum, as Tim thought that I knew something about this product, or wanted to learn...not sure on that anymore:)

Well, my CATDV license has expired, so I can't do much, but...

I have just gotten a contract to record over 500 hours of footage for a non-profit here in Nepal, and the results will be sent to Standford Medical as a video library.

I have not figured out how we are going to do this, but I do have a planning phase, which starts today.

So I am thinking of using our tape cameras and Adobe On Location to just smash the video to harddrives (90% of the footage is shot in a conference hall).

But I am going to need to organize the footage into a library for future editing by Stanford. Anyone have an idea about that?

(I am sure CATDV fits in here.) I figure I can deliver the harddrives with footage all metadata-ed out nicely for the future editors to devise the end result: a training package for EMTs based in South Asia.

So, I guess I am asking for advice on planning this out, as well as yes financial support - ha! Our margins are so slim, it's almost like everything else we do here in Nepal - charity work!

I know the developers of CATDV come here, so advice from those fine folks is also appreciated...maybe a school discount? We can spend a few hundred dollars for new software for this project, but not sure if that would be enough for CATDV.

The end goal here is provide training for folks in Nepal, using video-based learning materials. As you all know, it's expensive to produce...

Tips, advice, etc. always welcome!
Jigs in Kathmandu

Ps. Hope I don't sound like a beggar, but it's part of the culture and things here are pretty much in a mess...

Phoenix Studios Nepal: A small A/V Production House in Kathmandu.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Marvin Holdman
Re: Hi all, need some advice...
on Jul 14, 2010 at 1:42:53 pm

Not sure about your license conundrum, but Live Capture will deal with those tapes nicely. Not sure if Adobe captures the metadata from the tape, but Live Capture will acquire time/date info (and such) which will give you many more opportunities to come up with a logical organization structure. I've personally used it to capture hundreds of hours of very dry technical video. Highly effective.

You ask, "I am asking for advice on planning this out". The first step in this is going to be very clearly defining what types of media you will be dealing with (formats and content). From this, you should develop a "Best Practices" document of some sort to define how you will store the information on your media (media names and folders structure). You don't necessarily need the software to work on this, just thought and a word processor. Once you develop this, you will test it by storing some media, analyze the results and then you begin the proverbial "rinse, lather and repeat" process of ingesting media. Keep in mind that this is a dynamic process and will surely need minor adjustments as you continue. There will always be odd media in the mix, but the goal of "Best Practices" is to come up with a system that deals with MOST of the media that you will be archiving.

Obviously, no single task is that complex, but when you add all of the mundane together, it becomes a bit daunting. These are odd times in that we (in the video world) generally don't have much experience with data systems and those in the data world don't have that much experience with media. You have found the right place though, though in it's infancy, this forum should prove to be beneficial if you will come back and post more specific questions as you continue your journey.

If you're just getting the client software (not the server) then the price is pretty reasonable. No, I am not affiliated with any of the vendors, but I've been using this product for years now. It will do what you need it too. Good luck.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Jul 14, 2010 at 2:06:05 pm

Marvin, that's some great advice and we are literally on the same page about definitions and documentation. That's why I build 2 weeks into the schedule to do that, plus ingestion setup and testing, before we even begin the shoot (august).

As a user of Live Capture, does it do the same thing video clips recorded direct to the hdrive, or is this just for tape transfers? I don't think we will be going to tape if I can help it, as that will add more time for the digitizing. But I need to test Adobe On Location all the way in the next week or so. I expect we will still record to tape while we are recording to drives, just as a back up, but I don't want to be capturing all that tape when we are done with the shooting (if it can be avoided).

And ur right about the prices for CATDV...I was looking at the network price list. Still, it's 400+ usd...that's 30,000 of our dollars!

Anyway, I do appreciate your help and will keep posting back here as I go along...

Cheers,
Jigs

Return to posts index

Rolf Howarth
on Jul 14, 2010 at 10:28:48 pm

Hi Jiggy,
Drop us an email offlist with details of what of you're trying to do and we'll see if we can sort something out!
-Rolf

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Jul 14, 2010 at 10:52:21 pm

Will do right away Rolf! thx...
jigs

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Jul 15, 2010 at 2:52:26 pm

Not entirely certain about your question regarding Live Capture. It IS primarily for for tape, though I suppose you could use it as a "digital capture device". I'm supposing that's what you are talking about... running a firewire to the Adobe product and recording directly from your camera to hard drive. If this is the case, I don't think you'll need the Live Capture product. You are already there.

It's reassuring to see someone who realizes the importance of thinking digital management through before they start their project. It sounds like you are on the right road, those folks are lucky to have someone as forward thinking as yourself on this project! Good luck.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Jul 16, 2010 at 12:14:08 am

Thx again Marvin. It's all become clear (ha!). Not sure I can say that anyone is lucky to have me, I try to do the planning now up front to avoid past nightmares, that's all...kinda of a self preservation instinct, and is not altruistic at all.
Cheers!
jigs

Return to posts index

bryson jones
on Jul 16, 2010 at 3:30:21 pm

Jiggy,

Good luck out there. Regardless of how you capture (I'm a fan of running tape as a backup no matter what) I'd treat each catalog as a tape in that situation, either that or if it's not too much footage, you could divide by day. That way it's easy to find what you need as you can usually know what day something was shot. (in the standalone version, you can't search over all the catalogs, only within one of them.)

Then later, you can log and start to gather "topical" catalogs for pre-editing as you log and create a longer term archive.

If you have questions, please email and if you get in a bind, I'd be happy to donate a screen share or Skype to help on that project.

bryson

bryson "at" hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]