FORUMS: list search recent posts

By popular demand...

COW Forums : Square Box CatDV

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Lindeboom
By popular demand...
on Nov 11, 2009 at 5:25:31 pm

Hello All,

It gives us special delight to welcome back an old friend -- well, a longtime friend (who may be old but we won't mention that as not to embarrass him or anything) -- Dennis Kutchera from Halifax and Helsinki, and to draft a newer member of our team, Jiggy Gaton from Nepal (whom you may have read in our blogs or in the COW Magazine), and for seasoning, the southern-fried spicing of Walter Biscardi from Atlanta, to open this new addition to Creative COW.

From the looks of it, this is one of the great new additions to the Mac users toolkit, and so we welcome you to the COW's newest forum for CatDV.

So please join us in welcoming CatDV and an international cast starring some of the COW's best and brightest.

As Gomer Pyle said so long ago guys: "Soo-prize! Soo-prize!" (And now you know for sure that I read the blogs.)

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom
creativecow.net

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
Re: By popular demand...
on Nov 11, 2009 at 6:38:35 pm

I don't know anywhere else in the world where you can read Gomer Pyle quotes, so I guess I'm in...but not sure how qualified a user I am, as I still have not gotten CatDV to work in Snow Leopard...but I sure hope to hear from CatDV support team soon.

Btw, I took a re-look at Final Cut Server 1.5, and I am certainly not going down that road...unless I have to:)

Phoenix Studios Nepal: A small A/V Production House in Kathmandu.

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Nov 11, 2009 at 6:42:42 pm

You don't have to have all or even many of the answers, Jiggy. Our Cinema 4D forum, for example, was started by a guy who was willing to talk about what he did know -- which at the time wasn't much, as he had just bought the program.

There are forums wherein Tim Wilson and I host as means of learning more ourselves, it is part of the COW Way, Grasshopper.

;o)

Best always,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Nov 11, 2009 at 6:50:02 pm

Good to know Ron, thx. I am like a dog that smells a good bone though, and I will get this to work one way or another...

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 11, 2009 at 10:27:32 pm

Definitely a HUGE surprise to me too! :-)

We did have a fantastic demo on the product here this week and I am already planning to take our entire media management system to CatDV as we migrate to a much larger facility. But the beauty of CatDV is that it's perfect for the one man band and the larger facilities alike.

Seems a heckuva lot easier to use than Final Cut Server. So at the moment my knowledge is a bit limited, but by the end of the year I should at least have a little better handle on how it all works.

Look forward to developing the community.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Nov 11, 2009 at 10:33:57 pm

[walter biscardi] "Definitely a HUGE surprise to me too! :-)"

Yes, that damned Bessie Draft is an ugly thing. ;o)

Thanks for playing along, Walter.

We look forward to learning about it, too.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Matthew Stamos
on Dec 6, 2009 at 6:18:33 pm

Hello this is Mat Stamos with JB&A the US distributor of CatDV thought I would introduce myself. First I want to thank Walter for making the time for a demo of CatDV as the product sure does speak for itself. Great to see a CatDV forum on here and I will help out where I can as well and look forward to seeing all the cool workflows!

matts@jbanda.com

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Nov 12, 2009 at 5:53:13 am

Here is the place where CATDV hangs, and this is preventing me from putting this tool into production. For testing, I am just trying to catalog some drives that I have no idea what's on them FCP-wise, but I don't have time to go through manually:

After beachballing for a long time, CatDV just blows up. I've sent the error log to CatDV support, but no word as of yet...

Return to posts index

Dennis Kutchera
on Nov 12, 2009 at 11:26:22 am

Are you using Gridiron Flow? Did you repair permissions? Check your java preferences. I am running with J2Se 5.0 32 bit at the top of the stack. The only problem I have is when I start Flow Then CatDV runs out of memory. And it is usually a hang.

Do you have a website? I will need a contact in Katmandu in the future.

Dennis

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Nov 12, 2009 at 11:57:23 am

Hi Dennis, thx for the tips. 1) I had gridiron installed once, many moons ago, but all traces of that are long gone, 2) permissions are ok, 3) but no idea about java or where to check that. I am running 10.6.2 so everything should be at the latest level no?

Our website here in KTM is http://www.phoenixstudios.com.np/corporate, or http://www.phoenixstudios.com.np/New%20Music/ if you are a headbanger. There is contact info/map there and we look forward to a visit someday!

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Nov 13, 2009 at 2:28:43 am

Squarebox support has responded by examining one of my files and my logs, and says:
"I think we might have a fix for the crashing problem! It looks like a
bug in QuickTime, but we have a workaroound that we're currently
testing."
So stay tuned. I do remember reading and seeing problems with QT when snow leopard first came out. I remember changing all our machines to use the old QT Pro version and not the new snow QT viewer 'cause everyone hates that with a passion. More soon...

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Nov 19, 2009 at 3:39:33 pm

Fantastic! I just bought CatDV after working with the 30-day demo and am in the process of customizing fields and preparing to ingest our XDCAM EX footage. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute here along the way.

Cf

Return to posts index

Allan White
on Dec 2, 2009 at 11:44:54 pm

From your screengrab, it looks like you might be ingesting MPEG-2 - is that right? I've had lots of problems with that format.

If you convert your video to another format first, does the problem remain?

It's not just QT bugs that can hurt this fine app, but QTJava bugs also, I think (a subset, and less maintained than QT). CatDV is the largest Java Swing app I've ever seen, which is why there's some oddities here & there.

- Allan White, Video Producer, Luis Palau Assoc.

Quad 3Ghz Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, X1900 GPU, MetaSAN, CatDV Server

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Dec 3, 2009 at 1:20:10 am

thx Allen, I forgot to post back here...the developer of CatDV reads this forum and responded direct to me with a fix - how's that for service! An updated installer will be on their site soon I would imagine. We noticed QT/QT java problems after the snow upgrade, but they are slowly being found and dealt with. Cheers!

Return to posts index

bryson jones
Re: By popular demand...introduction
on Nov 30, 2009 at 4:50:49 pm

Hi guys,

I'm an integrator in Los Angeles who's put CatDV to use in several shops, including somewhere around 7-8 reality shows (Celeb Rehab, Millionaire Matchmaker, Destination Truth, etc..) in addition to running a few video archives and even a Sundance winning documentary on the system. I love it and think it's clearly the best asset manager on the market.

I'll be trolling along with the Squarebox guys and try to provide some info on this, amazing, but deep, product, where I can.

Nice to meet you all,

bryson

bryson@hidefcowboy.com

hidefcowboy.com

Return to posts index

Allan White
on Dec 2, 2009 at 11:38:19 pm

Really excited to see a CatDV forum here, it's an excellent tool and there's really no other user forum out there. Thanks!

- Allan White, Video Producer, Luis Palau Assoc.

Quad 3Ghz Mac Pro, 10GB RAM, X1900 GPU, MetaSAN, CatDV Server

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]