FORUMS: list search recent posts

2011 Imac

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrian Zehn
2011 Imac
on Jul 27, 2011 at 5:21:02 pm

I have been using Apple Color on a Macbook Pro with Tangent Wave board, MX02 through the expresscard slot supplying correct HDSDI to my FSI monitor.

As Color is EOL I am looking to start learning Resolve and moving towards setting up a basic suite for HD projects.

I know a MacPro with two Nvidia cards is best practice but this suite will be for part time use only and I have found my MacBook Pro setup to be quite adequate for use with Color and I am hoping that I can get at least a similar level of performance with Resolve 8 on a new IMAC connecting to my FSI with the (hopefully) soon to be released UltraStudio Thunderbolt device.

As I understand it although this system will not be optimal, it is certainly officially supported.

Has anyone used Resolve 8 on a 2011 Imac and how have they found performance on HD projects (not expecting to do 2K or 4K with this setup).

Thanks

AZ

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: 2011 Imac
on Jul 27, 2011 at 6:05:35 pm

The performance of the software is outstanding, your hardware is limiting.
The Ultrastudio might give you decent video and and audio capabilities but dont expect decent performance from the iMac card.
But hey, just leech the free one and see for yourself.
SD projects will work fine, HD will work for grading, playback...hmmm..I doubt it.

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.0.1 OSX 10.7
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB eSata 6TB
GTX 470 / GT 120
Extreme 3D+ WAVE

http://www.saschahaber.com

Return to posts index

Adrian Zehn
on Jul 27, 2011 at 9:08:08 pm

I am used to working without great playback fps in Color so that is not a dealbreaker for me. I don't have the imac yet (or obviously the Ultratudio). Has anyone actually done some grading with an imac and have real world experience?

I guess I don't need realtime playback as long as the grading experience is responsive and stable.

I would be using LION and the most recent version of RESOLVE.

Would love to hear some real world experiences before I buy something.

Of course if the MX02 was supported I could use my MACBOOK Pro (which has an NVidia card in in!) like I do for Color, but as far as I know there is no news about 3rd party video cards being supported :(

AZ

Return to posts index

kim krause
on Jul 28, 2011 at 6:22:49 am

just posted a reply on a previous topic regarding imac and resolve...i've been testing it for a week now on a i3 imac with 4 gig of ram and osx 10.6.6 and am having no problems....rendering is a bit slow but not much different to color and i get almost real time playback which also is fine for me as color never got anywhere near 25 fps on this machine...my only gripe is that i can't get the video to display on my external monitor, but i will be prting everything to the mac tower next month anyway...

Return to posts index

Craig Mieritz
on Jul 28, 2011 at 8:05:07 pm

I've been using a 2011 3.4Ghz i7 with a standard eSata internal hard drive attached to a FW 800 RAID soley for Resolve training. Hopefully, the new MacPro's are coming soon....

If you're ok with Color's preview speeds on a laptop then you'll probably be happy with Resolve on an iMac for a machine that will only be used sometimes for grading (if the Ultra Studio I/O box ever comes out). The renders are pretty fast, even on an iMac. It's pretty impressive how good of a job they did using Open CL on the new version. Also, the On the Fly proxies seem to help.

The one big caveat is that you cannot use Resolve's noise reduction on the iMac because it requires a CUDA compliant GPU. You may also want to look at the Pegasus Thunderbolt RAID. It seems to be getting favorable reviews:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/new-thunderbolt-raid-imac-lessons-learned...

Good luck.

Craig

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]