FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sydney Freelance Colourists - Please Contact

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kris Anderson
Sydney Freelance Colourists - Please Contact
on May 29, 2011 at 7:41:30 am

I'm in the end stages of putting together a Da Vinci Resolve suite. It's aimed at the indie/low budget feature, music video, doco and series market but will also take TVC work if it presents itself. It's being fed by a Symphony online suite.... and vice versa.

Control is via a Tangent Wave panel. Set up with 2 x Quadro 4000 cards and a Red Rocket. 16tb of RAID 5 storage (fast) and a 20inch Sony CRT HD monitor and scopes. Basically, all set up to BM spec with room to add one more Quadro if needed. Every mastering format available.

I need to start a talent pool in order to start pitching to clients. If you're interested please contact me at musikwerks (at) mac (dot) com with rates etc. I am aiming to be online mid July. Located in Artarmon.
I am very happy to cut deals with colourists who want to use it with their own clients in a dry hire capacity. I will absolutely make it worth your while.

Small room, not like the big boys, but well equipped and comfortable.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
Re: Sydney Freelance Colourists - Please Contact
on May 30, 2011 at 9:36:52 am

Just curious. You say you have two FX4000 cards? You do realize, that one of the cards will be completely misused. With two GPU cards configuration, only one actually does the render. The second only renders the interface and can be easily replaced by a $100 GT120 card with the same results.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on May 30, 2011 at 11:27:23 am

Oh contraire ,the dual 4000 setup is much more flickable and also speeds up Mercury engine apps, Scratch, Smoke, games and so on.
Its by far the best solution right now.
Besides the power house Cubix solution of course.

A slice of color...

DaVinci 7.1.2 OSX 10.6.7
MacPro 5.1 2x 2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB eSata 6TB
GTX 285 / GT 120
Extreme 3D+ WAVE

http://www.saschahaber.com

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on May 30, 2011 at 7:59:04 pm

What you just said makes no sense. Neither Smoke nor Scratch support multiple GPUs. In case of Resolve, you can replace one of FX4000 with GT120 and you'll get the same results. Waste of FX4000 in such configuration...

Return to posts index

Vladimir Kucherov
on May 30, 2011 at 8:22:42 pm

Not entirely true - only one Quadro will be used for picture engine processing yes, but the other will go toward GUI and other OS overhead. You won't get 2x the nodes but you'll get a faster experience.

Return to posts index

Kris Anderson
on May 30, 2011 at 9:14:00 pm

Faster experience is what I wanted. Some grades will be attended by clients. Nothing kills the vibe more than waiting around for renders.

The Quadro cards are per the Black Magic specification. Plus I have room for one more in the Cubix box (if the Rocket card is not required for the session.) I purchased the Quadro's online.... very, very good price. Less than half the local cost.

I've worked in the big post houses over the years and know their way of doing things. It's nice but comes at a price... I'm hoping to use that knowledge and provide a solution for a market they just can't operate in. Good operators will be the cornerstone of the enterprise and paid accordingly. The gear will be done so as not to get in their way and provide for a smooth session.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Jun 4, 2011 at 4:21:15 am

Nope, you'll get zero increase in speed by replacing GT120 with FX4000 in this configuration. On the other hand, by simply adding a GT120 or other qualified GPU to two FX4000 you will get a dramatic improvement...

Return to posts index

Robin Sung
on Jun 1, 2011 at 6:24:08 am

Hi Kris,

Not sure if you are interested to take an assistant onboard.

If you are, I'm experience in RED (on set to conform), Color, FCP and AE. I am mainly looking for opportunity to learn Resolve.

I am more than happy to discuss further details and my experience with you. 0421489940.

Regards,
Robin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]