FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving from Lustre to Davinci

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peterson Mark
Moving from Lustre to Davinci
on Mar 21, 2011 at 4:10:57 pm

I've used Lustre for more than 6 years, and 2 years Davinci 2K experiences before that.
Now I'm thinking about moving to Davinci Resolve as Lustre is going to be discontinued sooner or later.
Frankly speaking, I love Lustre, with it's unique log mode grading control, it's more film optimized.
Anyone got the same experience, I need advice from you. What's the fastest way to enter the Resolve world? Anything I should be more care about?

Btw, could anyone tell me how to do a simple one point tracking in resolve? I always fail in interactive mode in the tracker.

Thanks to anyone would like to give advice.

Mark

Senior VFX supervisor/DI supervisor/DI Colorist
CFG

Return to posts index

bruno munger
Re: Moving from Lustre to Davinci
on Mar 21, 2011 at 7:29:13 pm

Hi Mark

I am curious. What makes you think about Lustre Being Discontinued?

Regards

Bruno Munger

Return to posts index

Peterson Mark
on Mar 22, 2011 at 12:38:29 am

Hi, Munger.

Sooner or later means 1day or 1 century, isn't it?
Anyway, as the new lustre is integrated into flame package, I'm really concerned about it.

Regards

Mark

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Mar 22, 2011 at 2:38:16 am

Hi, experience from the numbers of colorists moving to Resolve indicates a fast learning curve. "The DaVinci Resolve UI is clean and uncluttered." "The pictorial nature of the UI makes it very easy to see where you are on every clip and every node in a quick glance." "Its like having version 10 of the application without the bloat." These are not my words, but those who have made switch.

Give yourself a couple of client free days, then easy into the first job. I'm pretty sure that within a week you will feel comfortable, even if you have never used a DaVinci grader before.

As for the auto tracker, try making the window smaller and then in interactive mode remove the computer selected marks to leave just the ones you want.

Peter

Return to posts index

Peterson Mark
on Mar 23, 2011 at 3:42:18 am

Hi, I tried your trick, it works, but result is not satisfacted.

It's a wide shot, camera moving on track very slowly. I want to add a solid edge shadow on a wall. But whatever I use auto tracker or single point tracking, the shadow jitters. In single point tracking, I select a high contrast point of course.

Mark

Return to posts index

Tomislav Rupic
on Mar 23, 2011 at 7:25:47 am

I switched from Apple Color to Resolve few days ago, watched short fxphd tutorial,
trained with one project and its already second nature for me :) ...I am totally impressed
with it, only thing I hate is EDL but if you are careful its not that much of a problem :)

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Mar 22, 2011 at 3:51:55 am

[Peterson Mark] "Lustre, with it's unique log mode grading control"

Is this still unique? I thought all grading software - Resolve, Baselight, IQ, Scratch, heck, even Color - can work in 'log mode'.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Peterson Mark
on Mar 22, 2011 at 4:24:40 am

Baselight? Maybe

Resolve, IQ? How?

Scratch? Color? R u kidding me?

What I mean "log mode" here, is not just processing in log space, but the trackballs manipulate color in a more log/film style. If you know lustre, you know what I mean.

mark

Return to posts index

Ola Haldor Voll
on Mar 22, 2011 at 8:15:27 am

I'm interested.. What does that mean? Manipulating color in log style?

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Mar 22, 2011 at 10:27:52 am

Does the using style matter so much ?

It is more important what comes out from your session not how you do it ?

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Mar 22, 2011 at 2:54:42 pm

No, he's talking about the matrix transforms that are happening in the background -- not the apparent previews (how the image manipulation is presented to the colorist) that are log/lin conversions. Most operators are not aware of how complex the math actually is.

As regretful as the log/film working environment would be to lose, the barbarians have not only arrived at the gates, they are in the city. When I see posts by photographer/filmmakers posting that they would like to hear other experiences by people who have been able to make their 13" Macbooks run COLOR so that they could work in "fullhd hdslr", it makes me groan with despair.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Mar 22, 2011 at 7:02:40 pm

Baselight, FilmMaster and. yes, Lustre can all work with log controls. What is confusing everyone is the name of the controls. FilmMaster calls this control Brightness/Contrast, which is the more descriptive name anyway. Lack of this control is one of the reasons I'm staying away from Resolve myself. So, no, Lustre is hardly unique in this ability.

Return to posts index

Peterson Mark
on Mar 23, 2011 at 3:26:07 am

"Unique" means not typical, not "The One and Only".
Before lustre, there was Lift/Gamma/Gain, curves and other control methods, but nothing like this contrast/brightness thing.
Anyway, industry always going on. LIft gamma gain thing is not bad for digital camera material.

My thread is looking for colorists who had similar experience transfer from lustre to davinci resolve, as for some reason I need to make this switching done in really short period, and hopefully maintain the quality I can provide to the client.(for both speed and creativity)
Anyone could help with small tricks or thing to be really care about during this transition, is really appreciated.

Mark

Return to posts index

Peterson Mark
on Mar 23, 2011 at 3:51:16 am

Switching from 2K to lustre LOG mode grader, really took me a while to feel comfortable, but after that, I found a beautiful world for negative. Of course Video mode grader can do the something, but it's a different response system inside the colorists. For me personally, I love the log mode.

If it was true, Blackmagic please bring the LOG mode back, one more option in system setup menu won't make much confusion.

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]