FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jump cut reduction with musical instrument vid

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Butler
Jump cut reduction with musical instrument vid
on Jul 11, 2020 at 8:34:44 pm

Has anyone tried this on eliminating a jump cut for a solo musician’s hands?
E.g. Closeup of pianist hands. Artist deliberately stops at a point in music where there is a sustain note, w hands’ freeze. 2. Artist starts next part of music in the position where lst segment ended.
Using smooth cut feature to eliminate jump cut. Would this effectively work?
A second scenario- where a guitarist would do same thing but the head ,arms may also move in addition for fingers on 2nd seg,emt. Would smooth cut try and smooth out all of,the affected movements so that there is no evidence of jump cut?
Using other things to hide jump cuts eg multiple camera angles, or another image is not desired. It has to look like it’s comtinous playing in same position .
Thank you Ray

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Jump cut reduction with musical instrument vid
on Jul 12, 2020 at 3:33:50 pm

Avid has an item called fluid morph. It is very useful for this type of scenario, or an interview jump cut where the head doesn't move too much. Speakers that talk with their hands are very problematic...and speakers with glasses are a bigger challenge.

Someone recently told me that Resolves smooth cut feature did the same thing. I gave it a try, and quickly went back to fluid morph. Maybe I was missing some settings somewhere, but it didn't look at all like the same thing.

in the "old days" smooth cut meant a 1 or 2 frame dissolve, which is what I was seeing from resolve. Fluid morph actually morphs the features from one frame to the other to try to make the motion look smooth.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Ray Butler
on Jul 12, 2020 at 4:03:30 pm

Hi Glenn. Thanks so much for the info. I have never used avid, but there’s probably a trial version. I am not so fluent on video editing,being more of a musician and havimg others do the real editing at my direction.
Do you think the scenario i had suggested for freeze in lst clip; then same freeze position to movement in 2nd would disguise the jump cut?
Would you consider trying it for me for compensation? It would be a close up of guitar neck and body shot. I believe i can get the freeze position nearly perfect in both segments.
I think showing anymore in the vid e,g my head would make it more difficult.
I could send you some sample brief clips , representing various stops/starts in the music, to see what works if anything. As a classcial guitarist, i could discern details of feasibility that non guitarists may not. If this works, it would save me a lot of time in doing vids, of technically difficult pieces ,so the recording could be joined in segments. I know the other tricks that are employed but when i see them used, i always suspect what they are doing, and having the same shot perspective is much better for a critical audience.
Thank you. RAY

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 12, 2020 at 11:49:20 pm

Smooth cut is a morph effect. You have only a few options to set so if it does weird things, there's not a lot to tweak. I used it recently to morph in things on a locked shot with props and people added and it worked very well but it was meant to be an obvious morph. Disguising edits is something i have used smooth cut for and I was able to match the look that the editor had done in Avid. That said, I don't use Avid and can't really compare other than Smooth Cut looked the same on the particular edit which was a talking head with a jump cut.

Like anything it is really difficult to give any assurance that what you want to do will work with either Smooth cut or Avid's morph. I would definitely also shoot conventional cut away shots. That is the time proven way to edit to make a performance seem continuous.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jul 14, 2020 at 6:40:20 am

very unlikely just a freeze and a cut would disguise it...depending on the attention of your audience i suppose. Pretty much everyone here would spot it immediately. Its amazing how much an incredibly small change in light or shadow position stands out like a sore thumb when you attempt something like this.

If you want to post a shot, i'd be happy to take a look.
I don't typically cut in Resolve at all...just colour, but I could try Avid vs Resolve to see what the difference is.

Glenn

Glenn

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jul 14, 2020 at 1:21:12 am

[Ray Butler] "Using other things to hide jump cuts eg multiple camera angles, or another image is not desired. It has to look like it’s comtinous playing in same position ."
You are aware this is a Resolve group, right?

There is Smooth Cut, basically a morph transition, covered on page 452 of the Resolve 16.2 manual. I strongly recommend you go through the entire editing section if you intend to edit in Resolve, especially if you need to use complex tools like making a series of short shots look like one continuous shot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]