FORUMS: list search recent posts

Insert a clip from elsewhere on timeline?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Reed
Insert a clip from elsewhere on timeline?
on Jul 7, 2020 at 6:41:34 am

All the tutorials I can find teach about inserting a clip from the media pool.

What is actually have is an edited video, but there is one edited clip ine the timeline that is near the end, and I want to place it between clips 1 and 2 at the start of the video. I want to do so by inserting it, so it moves the rest of the timeline along and doesn't overlay anything. ie. All clips are intact and visible.

I hope that makes some sense.

Assistance appreciated ☺

"Commitment is the enemy of resistance, for it is the serious promise to press on, to get up, no matter how many times you are knocked down." - David McNally

"There are no rules in filmmaking. Only sins. And the cardinal sin is dullness." – Frank Capra

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Insert a clip from elsewhere on timeline?
on Jul 7, 2020 at 10:07:03 am

Copy or Cut the clip to the clipboard and then (if on a Mac) use Command/Shift/V to Insert it into the desired location.

This creates an Insert edit which is the process you are looking for.

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

Michael Reed
on Jul 8, 2020 at 2:28:34 am

Thanks.

I also have been told ctrl-shit-drag (with snapping on) will work?

"Commitment is the enemy of resistance, for it is the serious promise to press on, to get up, no matter how many times you are knocked down." - David McNally

"There are no rules in filmmaking. Only sins. And the cardinal sin is dullness." – Frank Capra

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 8, 2020 at 6:45:43 am

Yes, that works too, but you'll find that it's only useful if your timeline is short and you're not moving the clip very far.

For more complex timelines it's fairly impracticable and often virtually impossible to use.

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

Michael Reed
on Jul 9, 2020 at 1:35:01 am

Hmm like button doesn't seem to work in forum.
Thanks for your assistance !

Return to posts index

Harlan Rumjahn
on Jul 11, 2020 at 9:53:21 pm

Another thing you can do, is go to the Cut Page and simply drag and drop your clip from one part of the timeline to another part. You have to do this in the top timeline (without the video pictures), and it will behave like the magnetic timeline in FCPX.

The only drawback is that if your project has a ton of clips it's kind of hard to see where you're dragging and dropping into. But if you get it wrong, you can always correct it by referring to the lower timeline that has the video previews.

Hope this makes sense!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]