FORUMS: list search recent posts

Crashes before I can even start

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Thomas
Crashes before I can even start
on Jun 27, 2020 at 6:13:51 pm

Newbie trying Resolve for first time. Running up-to-date Resolve Studio with i7 - 6700 3.40ghz, 32gb ram, solid state operating drive, etc.. I'm trying to go through some training videos I purchased and it freezes just doing basic commands: importing files, dragging clips to timeline, etc.

I could understand it crashing if I was doing some serious editing with some files it doesn't like or whatever... but it won't even let me get that far! Importing some braw 4K, some Prores also, mostly 4k files.

Any suggestions before I go running back to my old editing software?

Return to posts index

David Baud
Re: Crashes before I can even start
on Jun 27, 2020 at 6:37:41 pm

Like many software, your computer hardware needs to meet a minimum system requirement in order to run Resolve.

Until version 15, Blackmagic provided a pdf listing these requirement depending on your system/OS of choice.
https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ConfigGuides/DaVinciResolve15/20180407-79c607/DaVinci_Resolve_15_Configuration_Guide.pdf

Even so this document is 2 years old, it should help you figure out if the reason of your crash is related to your hardware configuration. One thing that has always been a critical parts of a system to run Resolve is your GPU.

Hope this help,

David Baud
Colorist & Finishing Editor
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Mike Thomas
on Jun 27, 2020 at 8:03:25 pm

thanks David. My pc fits within the minimal requirements. My GPU is a GTX 1080 8GB. I knew GPU was critical to running Resolve before I decided to try it.

I'm brand new to 4K video and braw. Are most people who run a pc with my specs editing their 4K footage or are they doing the proxy thing (something I've never tried)?

Return to posts index

David Baud
on Jun 27, 2020 at 10:26:44 pm

It is hard to tell not knowing your system. What is the speed of your I/O drives? dedicated RAID array for your media? where do you keep your cache memory?

If your crashes happen with a particular file format, I would definitely run a test with "easy footage" for your system (not power intensive in coding/decoding)... like intra-frame codecs (ProRes, DNxHD, Cineform, etc...) This will allow you to tell if there is a direct correlation...

Regarding your question about proxy footage, it depends what is your project like and your goal. If you are editing, it could be a solution, especially with a lot of media. If you are color grading, you want to work with the best quality footage you can get, with as little transcoding as possible in order to minimized any artifacts.

With Resolve, you actually have different ways to manage working with "a slower system": using the optimized media features, allow you to create new footage that will be easier to work with. It allows you to decide which file format/codec to use. Another way would be to use the cache render feature in order to play footage that otherwise could not be played real time.

David Baud
Colorist & Finishing Editor
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Mike Thomas
on Jun 27, 2020 at 11:17:05 pm

Got it. Thanks! I'm currently troubleshooting. I'm able to run ProRes without trouble. The first Braw I import though it freezes. My previous experience is with Sony Vegas which is much simplier to navigate!

Return to posts index

Michael Reed
on Jul 7, 2020 at 6:47:13 am

Interestingly I run a system similar to yours but with a GTX960 - no issues with 1080p but haven't tried 4K yet.

May I ask briefly what it was that promp6ted a shift away from Sony Vegas?
(PM if prefer)

"Commitment is the enemy of resistance, for it is the serious promise to press on, to get up, no matter how many times you are knocked down." - David McNally

"There are no rules in filmmaking. Only sins. And the cardinal sin is dullness." – Frank Capra

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]