FORUMS: list search recent posts

The online Resolve manual -- any alternatives?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Withers
The online Resolve manual -- any alternatives?
on Jun 26, 2020 at 4:55:49 am

Hello,
I try to use the Resolve "manual" but it's a multi-pagen pdf that seems to permit only single-word searches. Like I can search "duplicate" and "timeline" but not "duplicate timeline."
So I read a few pages each time I search but it's hard to find stuff and I don't know if some things even exist in the manual.
Like most NLE documentation, it's goal-based or step-by-step based, not terminology- or process-based. I have this book called The Definitive Guide to DaVinci Resolve 15, but it doesn't have a very good index. And is also step-by-step based.
Any suggestions?
I want to say that Larry Jordan does good tutorials for FCPX and Premiere that explain the "whys" not just the how-to steps.
Thanks,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: The online Resolve manual -- any alternatives?
on Jun 26, 2020 at 5:41:06 am

[Robert Withers] "I try to use the Resolve "manual" but it's a multi-pagen pdf that seems to permit only single-word searches. Like I can search "duplicate" and "timeline" but not "duplicate timeline.""
Actually, you can do searches like that in Apple Preview and in Adobe Acrobat. I have said before that I wish the 3335-page manual was broken up into five sections:

1) installation/configuration
2) conforming/editing
3) Resolve Color
4) Fusion
5) Fairlight

That way, the first section would be maybe 100 pages, then each subsequent section would "only" be about 800 pages. Those are easier to search.

I'd also love to see a hypertext index at the end, but the manual changes so quickly, it'd be tough to do. I had one almost done for 12.5 some years ago, but they up and came out with Resolve 14, so I bailed on that idea.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Jun 26, 2020 at 2:31:12 pm

Thanks, Mark.
How do you do searches like that in Adobe pdfs.? If I search copy timeline I get all pages with the word copy and all with the word timeline. If I put it in quotes like "copy timeline" or try copy AND timeline I get no response. Does that mean this phrase or these concepts don't exist in the manual?
Best,
Robert

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

Tim Anderson
on Jun 26, 2020 at 6:02:16 pm

Years ago, I downloaded a website for offline viewing.
The program was called something like ExTractor?
I am not up with current programs to do this.

Depending on the help structure on website it could be done with software.
I would also be interested if anybody take this idea further.

Return to posts index

Tim Anderson
on Jun 26, 2020 at 6:06:34 pm

There should be a way to save seperate help sections!

Return to posts index

David Baud
on Jun 27, 2020 at 6:51:12 pm

If you are using Adobe Acrobat for your search, select ADVANCED SEARCH from the edit menu.

Then if you search for "copy timeline" it will return page 3322 of the March 2020 Reference Manual.

In Resolve terminology, I think you want to look for "timeline duplicate" which you can do from the MEDIA and EDIT pages by selecting the timeline and using the local popup menu.

David Baud
Colorist & Finishing Editor
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Jun 29, 2020 at 2:22:26 am

Thanks, David, I will check out your suggestions.
The popup menu on the media page for R 15 does not offer a "timeline duplicate" option. I will try the edit page.
Cheers,
Robert

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

David Baud
on Jun 29, 2020 at 3:16:07 am

Yes it is correct... BMD re-introduces this feature in Resolve version16.x

If using version 15, you are left with the usual suspects: copy & paste for your timeline

Best,

David Baud
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Jun 29, 2020 at 3:58:32 pm

Thanks David, i found that cmd C and cmd V opened the same popup menu with no duplicate option. I thought maybe it was the dread Catalina but maybe it's the dread Resolve version 15. I will now have to look at R 16 and how to transfer projects. But actually I found a workaround -- to copy the entire timeline in the TL window and open a new TL with those shots. Just a little flaky.
All best,
Versions: !&$%#!
Thanks again,
Robert

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

David Baud
on Jun 30, 2020 at 3:36:07 pm

I seem to recall that in some version of Resolve the shortcut key for copy & paste did not work correctly for items in a bin (timeline & media)... I could be wrong.

In any case you can use copy & paste from the EDIT menu, and it works for timeline as well

David Baud
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]