FORUMS: list search recent posts

Duplicate filenames and timelines

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Withers
Duplicate filenames and timelines
on Jun 26, 2020 at 2:51:09 am

Hi all,
Maybe y'all are too advanced for me so if you can point me to a more beginner list, please do.

Trying to learn the basics of the interface. 2 things:

1. There are shots with identical file numbers in 2 bins. Is there a way to rename the files in the second bin to avoid confusion? How can I best place these in an existing timeline based on the files of the 1st bin.
2. What's a good way to save incremental edits? Copy and name timelines within a project?

Thanks so much for any help.
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Duplicate filenames and timelines
on Jun 26, 2020 at 4:34:38 am

There are camera manufacturers out there that have made cameras that repeat file names. No idea why that is even possible when unique names are always required. DJI, certain Sony's, certain Canon's etc

Before editing, duplicate file names need to be identified and renamed. File rename software makes it easy to rename a whole folder and add a suffix or prefix which might be the date and camera ID (handy if it's a multi cam shoot). All copies of the camera originals should be renamed if they have already been duplicated. It really matters that files do not duplicate, especially as they so often also duplicate timecode.

Once you have started editing it is a problem to rename files as you will break the link. I'm talking about the files on the drive, not names in Bins. Renaming in Bins only helps to a degree. If you have to move to another computer or have a crash and have to rebuild, you will struggle with those duplicates. Handing over to a facility to grade & mix - same issue with duplicated files. It's the bane of my existence.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Jun 26, 2020 at 4:43:24 am

Thanks Michael, this is from a Canon camera filming on reformatted cards. I guess it makes sense to the camera to start a fresh card with 0000.
I have saved all the files in separate folders on drives, will look for renaming software and maybe have to re-import into Resolve.
I noticed this when organizing bins.
Before editing or using the dupe-named files, thankfully.
Best,
Robert

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 26, 2020 at 6:26:05 am

It makes no sense for a camera to ever use the same file name again. RED, Arri, Blackmagic etc make sure that can't happen.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Jun 27, 2020 at 4:45:30 am

Hi Michael,
Thanks so much for your comments.
I have the camera I have -- a Canon Vixia. Can't switch. And I have already recorded clips.
I see there's an option in Resolve to add a Reel Name to the clip attributes based on the bin name. Will that solve the issue of duplicate filenames if they have a different Reel Name attribute? I'm hesitant to add clips to a timeline until I understand how to deal with the clips I already have.
Thanks again,
Best regards,
Robert

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Jun 28, 2020 at 5:30:42 pm

Thanks so much, Michael. I re-read your post. I guess I need to rename the files on the external drives and reimport them into Resolve bins.
That's very helpful.
I will do that before any further editing.
Best regards,
Robert

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Jul 5, 2020 at 1:31:56 am
Last Edited By Robert Withers on Jul 6, 2020 at 1:01:08 am

Hi Mr. Gissing and all,
I used Better Rename to rename duplicately named copied files from a Canon Vixia in a folder on an ext drive. Then re-imported these .mts files into a bin in Resolve 15.
Used them to make a second timeline, then I copied and pasted clips into the first. Does that process make sense?
What happened: after the paste: the first timeline turned into one giant clip. An earlier timeline shows many red unlinked media shots all mixed up with the new and or old clips.
Just succeeded in restoring an earlier version from an auto backup. Took forever. I wonder if any of this related to my Firewire 800 drives and TB2 hub? Am I doing something (or many things) wrong?

Thanks for any help,
Robert

Robert Withers

iMac 2019, Catalina
3.6 MHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
16 GB Memory
GPU Radeon Pro 575X (4 GB)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]