Slog3 - LUT - Right workflow?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Sheldon
Slog3 - LUT - Right workflow?
on Jun 20, 2020 at 11:01:40 pm
Last Edited By Luke Sheldon on Jun 20, 2020 at 11:12:15 pm

Hi all,

I would be very grateful if I could get some feedback on the workflow I'm trying to use.

DP shot in slog3. She used the 'Phantom Arri Slog3' LUT as a reference and I'm trying to use it in my grade. It's Slog3 to Rec709.

So I set the Project Settings to Davinci YRGB (not color managed) input = slog3. Looks great on export.

1. When I change exposure on a node before the LUT the blacks won't move below a certain baseline (about 50 on the waveform). However, if I add an exposure node after the LUT I can make those blacks real black (as opposed to a subtle 'lifted shadows look'). It just feels like I'm doing something wrong somewhere.

2. If I want to export the film for a digital projector for a film festival, I'm assuming it won't be in rec709 so I'll have to convert the output color space. And so by using a rec709 lut will I have to start from scratch to export for a p3 (or whatever) color space?

Thanks so much. I tried researching this but didn't get far.

I'm on Mac Mojave 10.14.6
iMac pro 5k retina
Davinci Studio 16

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Slog3 - LUT - Right workflow?
on Jun 22, 2020 at 7:37:06 am

Typically I use three nodes when using a LUT. Node 1 is for pre LUT trimming. Node 2 is the LUT. Node three is the post LUT trim. Very normal to set final white & black levels after the LUT but often need the node pre LUT to avoid clipping or crushing (highlight, shadow recovery etc). I also sometime do a basic balance pre LUT then finesse post LUT. After that whatever else I need to tweak I add more nodes.

Return to posts index

Luke Sheldon
Re: Slog3 - LUT - Right workflow?
on Jun 22, 2020 at 5:36:52 pm

Thank you Michael! Good to know it's not just a setting somewhere I should have checked.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]