FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to Get Color Grading to Look Consistent Across Different Displays

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Coates
How to Get Color Grading to Look Consistent Across Different Displays
on Jun 12, 2020 at 11:43:19 pm

Hello everyone. I'm working on color grading a film in Davinci, but I'm running into some issues. I bought a BenQ monitor to use for grading (PD 2720U) and I'm grading in Rec.709 with the monitor set to that color mode.

I've been able to get a solid grade when viewing it on the BenQ, but when I put it on any other monitor the contrast is completely flat. Keep in mind all these other monitors are much cheaper and have no claims on color accuracy, compared to the $1100 BenQ. In order to get the image looking good on EVERY other monitor I own, I have to completely crush the contrast on the BenQ.

My question is, should I trust the BenQ and just let it look flat elsewhere, or should I cater to all the cheaper monitors? I'm just confused because the monitor claims to have 100% sRGB and Rec.709 coverage but I'm getting drastically different results compared to other displays.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: How to Get Color Grading to Look Consistent Across Different Displays
on Jun 13, 2020 at 2:22:26 am

Read these:

"Grading for Mixed Delivery: Cinema, Home, and Every Screen in Between" by Cullen Kelly
https://blog.frame.io/2019/10/14/grading-mixed-delivery/

and
"How to Deal with Levels: Full vs. Video" by Dan Swierenga
https://www.thepostprocess.com/2019/09/24/how-to-deal-with-levels-full-vs-v...

and I think both cover the issues and the solutions very well. Understanding color management is also helpful:

"Color Management for Video Editors"
https://jonnyelwyn.co.uk/film-and-video-editing/colour-management-for-video...

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: How to Get Color Grading to Look Consistent Across Different Displays
on Jun 13, 2020 at 3:35:58 pm

The one thing I will add to this never ending conversation about why doesn't my monitor look the same as their monitor question.

Yes i use a calibrated Flanders CM series monitor, so i have very high confidence in what I output, but if you don't, there is only so much you can do.

But at the root of the director saying "the blacks look crushed" is simply your knowledge that you have done your adjustments, using your eyes and your scopes. If the blacks are just kissing 0 on the scopes, and mids are not all compressed down at the bottom, and you have a proper working knowledge of your output settings, then you should be able to say to whom ever is complaining. " I promise you, the blacks are not crushed, your monitor is off"

If "every other monitor" at your disposal is showing a flat picture, and your BenQ is showing proper black levels, AND your scopes are showing proper black levels, then you may have a workflow issue.
(display lut?...improperly tagged levels?) Output bars or even the black to white gradation, and see what they look like. They are there for a reason.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]