FORUMS: list search recent posts

Face refinement pops off at last frame of clip

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Oben
Face refinement pops off at last frame of clip
on Jun 1, 2020 at 6:09:11 am

This keeps happening and on many shots. Resolve analyzes the clip. I can see the overlay. I love the parameters I've set, the look is perfect but... the very last frame of the clip loses the look. No matter how many times I re-analyze, the last clip pops back to no effect applied.

Help!

Chris M. Oben

http://www.chrisoben.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Face refinement pops off at last frame of clip
on Jun 1, 2020 at 11:07:29 am

I had this happen a couple of times. Two tricks to face refinement. I often zoom the image up to do the analyze pass so the face is full in the frame. Sometimes it has trouble picking up a face. Once the analyze is done you can reset your framing.

Second trick and the one that will help you is to do the analyze with a few frame handles. I just extend the clip top & tail a few frames then re-trim after the analyze pass. That should solve your issue.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Face refinement pops off at last frame of clip
on Jun 1, 2020 at 11:13:11 am

Yes, I agree with Michael's suggestions above.

Some general tips for Face Refinement:

1) as Michael points out, you often get better results if you use PTZR to zoom into the face and THEN run the F.R. analysis mode. Once it's tracked, go back to normal framing and the mask should still fit.

2) if there's conflicts in the background, consider using a temporary black mask in a previous node to mask out everything else except the face. This will give F.R.'s internal engine fewer distractions to work with. This is particularly useful if you have 2 or more people in the same shot.

3) note that it's possible to use a mask on top of F.R. in case it's catching any details behind the actor's face. Of course, you can also manually adjust the size of the F.R. mask area itself.

4) I find that F.R. alone is not enough to benefit actors of a certain age. I find you also have to pay attention to their neck, visible chest, and hands, and you've got to blur or denoise or use Minus Midtone or even Glow.

5) and I also think you have to use manual methods to get rid of crow's feet and jowls, which often have to be windowed and tracked. The OFX Beauty plug-in is a good way to use frequency-selection to only soften the skin details and leave everything else intact.

6) the moment the actor turns sideways or otherwise gets covered up, F.R. can't recover, and for that, you have to go to an all-manual method. It takes more than 9 power windows to duplicate what Face Refinement does, and while it can be done, it takes time and a lot of thought to pull it off effectively. Always remember that anything Face Refinement can do, you can also do manually... but it's a lot of work.

If it's popping off on the last frame, then the last-ditch suggestion I'd have is to start on the last frame and THEN begin the F.R. analysis, and sometimes (for mysterious reasons) it will work better starting at the end than at the beginning.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]