FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does the free version of Davinci resolve handle 4k Files

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terence Christopher
Does the free version of Davinci resolve handle 4k Files
on Apr 7, 2020 at 5:07:01 am

I have recently upgraded to the studio version of DA Vinci Resolve. However I find that it brings my computer (0Dell all in one with I7 processor and 16 Gigs of Memory ) to its knees. No editing is possible. I clearly need a new machine but in the current Covid 19 shutdown it is not possible to build one. However I seemed to have been ale to do rudimentary processing with the free version. Is that true? If so is it possible to have two versions of Da Vinci resolve on my machine so I can continue editing until I can come up with a new machine? I would also like to know what specifications you would recommend for this machine
Thanks
Terence

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Does the free version of Davinci resolve handle 4k Files
on Apr 7, 2020 at 7:53:11 am

[Terence Christopher] " Is that true? "

No. The studio version has some things that help with performance. Not the other way around. Create optimized media and edit with that.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 7, 2020 at 9:06:42 am

It's likely that you haven't set your preferences properly with the Studio version to utilise your GPU. The studio version will perform better than the free once it is properly setup.

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Apr 7, 2020 at 11:31:31 pm

I have been trying to optimize the preferences and media as recommend by previous posts, however that did not help much. Which is why I raised the present question. However I will look at this again. I have been on hold for a few weeks waiting until I can get a new machine. With the free version I found that when I went into the colour panel, the sound became very poor but I ignored it. However with the paid version the video just refused to play. Anyway I will go back and look around again. There are many controls in preferences, and playing around ends up causing havoc. That is why I have tried resetting the preferences to the initial settings. I will try reinstalling the programme as a start.
Thanks for your comment.

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Apr 8, 2020 at 1:06:36 am

Addendum Michael,
I have just gone back to the( preferences which I had confused with the Settings.) Setting the Graphics processor to being able to be used in the computation made a big difference. Using a prores 4K input I was able to load media into Da Vinci reserve and run through each clip and add it to the timeline. This is much better than anything I had achieved previously. However it was impossible to play the video on the timeline it moved in a staggered almost as a series of stills. However I have not yet changed the resolution or speed. Thanks for this great help. Perhaps I might be able to get something going!!
Thanks
Terence

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 8, 2020 at 1:45:37 am

Check those preferences. GPU optimising is most important. Also important is the hard drive you use to play back 4k media. Check that it isn't a bottle neck for performance. Also codecs like H264/ H265 can be an issue for the CPU.

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Apr 8, 2020 at 9:03:46 pm

Michael The hard drive question is difficult to answer as I have a complex system.
To play back 4K mp4 final video I have this stored on a QNAP NAS which is running 10 Tb 7200 rpm disks in a RAID 5 configuration with a solid state ? 10 Gigabyte buffer. However for editing I have an external much slower 8 TB external hard drive and the video is decompressed to Pro Res.. In addition I have a 2 TB 7200 hard drive installed by Dell who removed my new 7200 rpm /Seagate hybrid drive when I sent the machine back under warranty. I think for play back over the network the QNAP is fine though it is incapable of supporting a video player. However I am not sure about the files loaded into Davinci Reserve I assume that they are on my Dell drive. It seems to have supported videos without a problem and is an all in one configuration. I don't know how to test the set up nor to evaluate the possible problem with the handling of the codecs. It will play Netflix movies without a problem and has a screen resolution of approx 1900 X1080 though it came out before 4K, but that probably doesn't signify much of anything. I have played my 4k Clips which come out of my camera as MP4. They run without a hitch.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 10, 2020 at 5:40:29 am

Blackmagic have drive speed test software (free). You can use it to test all your drives.

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Apr 10, 2020 at 5:52:10 pm

Thanks I will try it. By the way the software is running really well now on old videos that I have to edit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]