FORUMS: list search recent posts

MP4 and AVCHD conversion to ProRes

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neal Reville
MP4 and AVCHD conversion to ProRes
on Apr 5, 2020 at 6:48:14 am

Hi all

I have just been handed a short film (30 min?) to cut/grade/everything. It's been shot in (mostly) MP4. Considering it's going to need a lot of effects and CGI, I felt it would be advantageous to convert the whole thing to Pro Res (or DNxHD) before I start.

Here's the catch. I have spent well over a week searching for a free, or economical, converter program. Most of the $27 ones finish up around $105-110 in these corona days and I baulk at that for one (free) job. I tried Handbrake, but it's extremely slow and a bit cumbersome. I also worry a bit about the quality of some. Needs to be 1920 -1080HD.

At last, my question: Does anyone know of a good quality, free or not expensive conversion app? I shall be very grateful for any advice.

Neal Reville

Return to posts index

Sreekumar Nair
Re: MP4 and AVCHD conversion to ProRes
on Apr 5, 2020 at 7:27:16 am

Davinci resolve (free version) can convert MP4 files to pro res.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

Final Cut Pro X / Compressor can also do the same thing. 90 days free trail is available for FCPX & Compressor.

Return to posts index

Neal Reville
on Apr 6, 2020 at 12:49:23 am

Hi Sreekumar. Thank you so much for your prompt reply. And thank you also for providing just what I have been looking for! Here I imagined I was a good manual reader, but I completely missed this. Just as well others are more careful.

You have saved me a lot of time and an amount of money. Thank you again. May I wish you all the best in these uncertain times.

Neal Reville

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Apr 7, 2020 at 5:14:54 am

I was guided to Media Spot by other contributors to this web site. It has been very stable and reliable. I have also had a great deal of help as I was wrestling with video problems from a camera that was causing problems. So I have nothing but praise for them. I was working principally with ProRes as it seemed to be the most stable and reliable way to go.
https://audiospot.audio/audiospot-creativetools
Terence

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]