FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to Color Manage LinearDPX DSM back into P3 for a Rec709 out

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert D Martin
How to Color Manage LinearDPX DSM back into P3 for a Rec709 out
on Mar 18, 2020 at 4:02:28 pm
Last Edited By Robert D Martin on Mar 18, 2020 at 5:49:14 pm

I've got a 4k DPX DSM in 16bit linear RGB of a short film I did a few years back.

The goal: to create new QuickTime exports off this highest quality master.... BUT, I am a novice with color management for how/what to select to acquire the correct project/clip settings, how to add the correct node transforms, and then which export settings to use to make this work....

Basically, I need a detailed breakdown of settings for how to 1) properly interpret the linearRGB DPX files upon import, 2) then transform this into P3 (it was colored in p3 during the DI), 3) then make sure this p3 look/colorspace is transformed correctly via the output settings or node stacking in the color tab, to make sure the quicktimes come out in a proper rec709 at legal range video levels with a HD 1-1-1 color profile.

Accompanied screenshots would be very helpful-- I basically need a checklist for how to do this so that all the proper clip and project settings on each of the 3 steps (import at LinearRGB/transform to P3/export to Rec709 legal range) are accounted in order to avoid any unwanted gamma shifts.

Thank you!!!!!

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: How to Color Manage LinearDPX DSM back into P3 for a Rec709 out
on Mar 19, 2020 at 6:32:16 am

Step 1: read chapter 7 from the latest manual. Page 214 and forwards
Step 2: set your input gamma/gamut as linear/P3
Step 3: set yout output to Rec709

Return to posts index

Robert D Martin
on Mar 19, 2020 at 7:40:58 pm

That's a pretty old school approach- and a very specfic page number. Link??? --This one?
https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/UserManuals/DaVinci-Resolve-16-color...

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Mar 22, 2020 at 2:03:52 am

Tero's approach looks right to me. Whether it's "old school" or not doesn't matter: as long as the pictures are right, it's right.

Return to posts index

Robert D Martin
on Mar 22, 2020 at 2:08:04 am

No doubt- no problem with a manual haha.... but is that the right one I chose?? There are actaully a number of manuals listed to view on the Blackmagic website.

on that page 214, what is the header/chapter title you're looking at so I know I'm in the correct section??

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Mar 22, 2020 at 4:29:13 am

The Resolve 16.2 manual would be the newest one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]