Conforming Premiere to Resolve — audio links wrong

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Bender
Conforming Premiere to Resolve — audio links wrong
on Mar 12, 2020 at 7:39:43 pm
Last Edited By Joe Bender on Mar 12, 2020 at 7:41:49 pm

Hi All,

I'm prepping to conform a feature doc cut in Premiere. This is a bear of a project, with tons of archive in a welter of different formats.

In the hope of transitioning the last round of edits fully into Resolve so I can start the color and keep it all in one place instead of going back and forth with Premiere, I've imported all the media into a new project in Resolve. When I import an XML of the first reel of the project, the video imports as well as I would expect - some things are offline but that typically has to do with different framerates in the archive that Resolve counts differently than premiere or unsupported formats, easy to fix - but the audio is a complete disaster. The majority of the audio clips link to completely different, random files, with different clip names. So what might be the problem?

I've tried a number of different solutions, importing the sequence into a clean Premiere project before exporting and using AAF both give a similar result.

Any thoughts on how to get past this? While it's not strictly essential to have the full program audio in Resolve it would improve my post workflow on this and I'd like to achieve it if possible.

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Joe

EDIT - I'm using Resolve 16.2 on MacOS 10.14.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 48 GB RAM, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB, Radeon VII, Media is on a NAS over 10GbE.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Conforming Premiere to Resolve — audio links wrong
on Mar 12, 2020 at 9:10:14 pm

Joe,

Most colorists simply don’t deal with sound in these situations, because of the issues you’ve encountered. Most of us would export a single audio track of the entire program if an audio work track is really necessary, and just sync that up for reference purposes.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy forum.

Return to posts index

Joe Bender
on Mar 12, 2020 at 9:39:28 pm

Yes indeed, and that's what I typically do as well. However for this film I am hoping to get a head start on the conform and color before picture lock, so my idea was to move the whole project into Resolve and finish from there.

If the audio mismatch prevents that workflow, does Color Trace work well enough to transfer to an updated XML if the cut continues to evolve? Is it able to transfer over scaling etc? I've tried to use the Compare Timeline tool for this in the past but on complex edits I find it doesn't work particularly well.

Joe Bender
Director of Photography · Producer
Third Party Films
thirdpartyfilms.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 12, 2020 at 9:51:39 pm

Personally, I really don’t use that type of workflow, I would just cut it from scratch in Resolve, or finish the cut in Resolve, rather than bouncing back and forth between Premiere and Resolve, especially when the project isn’t yet locked. So, somebody else will have to help you.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]