FORUMS: list search recent posts

Very different file sizes from resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Sefton
Very different file sizes from resolve
on Mar 10, 2020 at 2:27:05 pm

Hi

2 camera shoot, both Red Heliums. Shooting at 8K 60p. Both used same Red Compression.

Add noise reduction, sharpening and basic levels to both clips. Hit export. Rec709 colourspace and both cameras using same Red profile.

Send timeline to Deliver, encode to ProRes422HQ

One file is delivered in the hundreds of gigabytes. The other in the tens. There is no noticeable difference in quality, or colourspace, just the data rate and size.

Is there a reason for this??

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Very different file sizes from resolve
on Mar 10, 2020 at 6:55:19 pm

Not enough information to really say anything.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 10, 2020 at 7:03:40 pm

Unless both cameras were setup identically in every respect, including deep settings such as sharpness, you won’t have a baseline that would indicate the difference in the two cameras. In any case, tiny differences sharpness and noise can greatly influence file size. And, I’m not talking about aberrations visible to your eyeballs - you might think the cameras are setup identically, but you’d have to check every setting in the menu to be certain.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy forum.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 11, 2020 at 3:46:10 am

Such a big difference would make me check both are rendered to the same pixel aspect and codec. ProResHQ does vary slightly but not to that extent. I can't believe they are identical pixel aspects and codecs.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 11, 2020 at 12:12:09 pm

What was the original size difference between the two sets of native RED files?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Mar 12, 2020 at 10:43:15 am

Both Red cameras were setup absolutely identically. The were running as master and slave.

The r3d files were within a few 100MB of each other.

The only thing I can think is that one camera had more noise due to a difference in flagging, which means that the output file has more noise, at a level I cannot see on any of the monitors I'm using to view. Even the waveform of the ProRes file is identical.

Co-owner at Pollen Studio
http://www.pollenstudio.co.uk

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 12, 2020 at 12:16:21 pm

To cross-reference, you might want to try a transcode in Redcine-X Pro or some other app, just to see if you get the same results. I would suspect noise, as well.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]