FORUMS: list search recent posts

Paste to particular track

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Lightfoot
Paste to particular track
on Mar 2, 2020 at 2:03:03 am

I'm trying to paste a titles clip from another section to the playhead. I have a track for titles which is the topmost track, but no matter what I do it pastes into the lowest track which isn't visible on my screen without scrolling. Selecting the title track to paste into doesn't help. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Erik Davis
Re: Paste to particular track
on Mar 2, 2020 at 1:06:08 pm

Me coming from Vegas to Davinci, this is for sure on of the frustrations of editing in Davinci.

You need to have the red blox outline around the Video track on the left that you want to paste to as V1. You also need the white rectangle turned on because if it is turned off, it will ignore the track completely.

This is my recollection without sitting in front of the computer. The Vegas method of clicking a track on the left and it becomes highlighted is far simpler and easier to do.

Erik

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Mar 2, 2020 at 2:31:19 pm

Yes, learning how to use the track destination controls and the auto-select buttons in the track headers is key to successful and efficient editing in Resolve. These are actually very powerful features: imagine, for example, that you want to edit a clip with synchronized audio into your timeline but you have 50 audio tracks. Soloing the track destination control for the audio track you want that audio to land in ensures that it'll go in the right place.

The manual has a good explanation for how the track destination controls work (and how to solo a track destination control without having to manually un-select all other tracks); it also has a good explanation for how the auto-select buttons work (which governs what happens on other tracks in your timeline when you insert new clips or move existing clips around).

Another really good resource for learning this is the free Advanced Editing in Resolve 15 PDF available from the training section of the DaVinci Resolve website. Pretty much everything in there still applies to Resolve 16 unless you use the cut page.

Return to posts index

Erik Davis
on Mar 2, 2020 at 2:52:53 pm

If I had 50 tracks of audio I would just highlight the track I want to include in Vegas. Way more intuitive. The fact that you need to read the manual to understand Resolve kind of makes my point. It's overly complicated.

Erik

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Mar 2, 2020 at 3:00:07 pm

I don't think it's any less intuitive to click on a destination control than to highlight a track. It's the same thing, you're just clicking on a button on a track header.

In Resolve, only one video track and one audio track can have their destination controls active. You get to choose which tracks: if you have 4 video tracks and 75 audio tracks, just click on the track destination control for the video track you want to use and click on the track destination control for the audio track you want to use. This is also useful for editing clips into the timeline when you want only the audio or only the video: just disable the destination track control for whatever audio track is currently enabled and the audio will have nowhere to go; only video will be added to the timeline.

Return to posts index

Jim Lightfoot
on Mar 2, 2020 at 8:51:12 pm

Thanks - I'll review that section of the manual but at least I know what these actions are called.

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Mar 2, 2020 at 9:04:17 pm

Okay, and just to clarify one thing: when I mentioned that you can "solo" a track destination control I was getting track destination controls and auto-select buttons mixed up. The track destination controls allow you to control which video and audio track a clip will be added to when you place it in the timeline. Only one video track and one audio track can have active track destination controls.

The auto-select buttons, on the other hand, control what happens on the other tracks when you add or move a clip in the timeline. For example I'm sure you've experienced situations where you add a clip or split a clip in the timeline and it creates an unwanted split on a background music track: the auto-select buttons avoid that kind of problem by giving you total control over which tracks will be affected by edits, additions, or moves in the timeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]