FORUMS: list search recent posts

Your Technique for placing clips in the timeline

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenneth Maultsby
Your Technique for placing clips in the timeline
on Feb 15, 2020 at 1:57:30 am

Hello all,
I am trying to speed up my editing workflow and I was wondering how others place their clips in the timeline. For example after setting in and out points in the source monitor how to your add them in the timeline? Do just drag them directly to the timeline? Do you drag it over to the timeline monitor and select insert, overwrite, Fit to Fill etc? Or do you use Function Keys F9 through F12? It seem like the function keys would be a long reach.

OS Windows 10 CPU AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 3.70 GHz
Memory 32 gb
Hard drives C: SSD OS and Programs
F: 2 TB Documents and other programs
G: Drobo 6TB photos and videos
H: SSD 500 gb Cache drive
M: 2TB SSD Media drive
I: 1TB SSD Media drive 2

Return to posts index

David Baud
Re: Your Technique for placing clips in the timeline
on Feb 15, 2020 at 2:43:54 am

Personal preference? I think shortcut keys is faster...

Don't forget you can customize your keyboard shortcut keys from DaVinci Resolve/Keyboard Customization...

David Baud
Colorist & Finishing Editor
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Kenneth Maultsby
on Feb 15, 2020 at 3:36:35 am

Thanks

Memory 32 gb

Return to posts index

Declan Smith
on Feb 15, 2020 at 8:54:11 am

How fast each technique is, comes down to personnel preference, although each method can be quicker in it's own way. I haven't looked at the 'Cut Page' yet, but that purports to speed up the editing process. For what I tend to do, I generally drag from the source viewer into the timeline or from a marker directly. With dragging from the source viewer then whilst you're dragging, you can see how many audio channels are coming with the footage and if you have 10 channels, you can abort dropping the clip in and correct the number of channels on the source clip. Also, I can just drag the clip to the right point and decide whether I just want video, audio, or both.

My workflow tends to be to review all the footage in the media page in the first place and set duration markers, with appropriate keywords, on all the parts of clips I want to use. At that point, I also change the audio channels if need be (some footage can have up to 10 channels on some of the stuff I've worked with). Then in the edit page, I can just drag the markers to the timeline to get video/audio, hold the Alt key whilst dragging to bring just video, or press the shift key whilst dragging to bring just the audio.

Using the Function keys does on the surface seem quicker, but when an insert overwrites audio you have to back track. Even using the F12 key to append edit means you will have to do some tidy up at some point.

Probably best to try with the various options and find which one works best for you overall.

Speed of editing is not just about the timeline. Reviewing, preparing and categorizing footage with keywords and in/out duration markers is such a timesaver and helps you find exactly what you need.

Declan Smith
http://www.madpanic.tv
Davinci Resolve 16.1.1 / Affinity Photo / Reason 10.4 / BlackMagic URSA Broadcast / Zoom F8 / Canon XLH1 / Canon 7D / Cubase 10

"it's either binary or it's not"

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Feb 15, 2020 at 11:00:21 am

For a first assembly, I use the function keys although I agree that they could be better mapped. I believe they were based on the old Final Cut Pro 7 keyboard shortcuts; you can't fully implement the more intuitive set of shortcuts in FCPX (e.g., w for insert edit, e for append to the end of the timeline, etc.) because some of those shortcuts are reserved by Resolve for other editing functions (e is for an extend edit for example). If you want to set video-only in and out points on a clip, instead of just typing i and o, type option-shift-i (alt-shift-i on Windows) for a video-only in point and option-shift-o for a video-only out point. For audio-only in and out points, use command-shift-i and command-shift-o (control-shift-i and control-shift-o in Windows).

The track destination controls offer an efficient way of adding clips to the timeline without having to drag and drop: if you are adding a bunch of b-roll and don't want any audio to come with it, simply disable all the audio track destination controls and the audio will have no place to go. Then do a "place on top" edit.

Once you have your timeline assembled and you start moving clips around, inserting new ones, doing four-point edits, etc. it becomes trickier; this is where you have to start minding the auto-select buttons since those will determine which tracks are affected by your edits. I think of this as a process that starts by selecting the clips you want to add, then preparing your timeline tracks (enabling and disabling track destination controls and auto-select buttons as needed), and then finally editing the clips into the timeline.

I highly recommend the free PDF "Advanced Editing in Resolve 15" (which also works for Resolve 16 as long as you're not using the Cut page), which is available in the Training section of the DaVinci Resolve website. It's excellent and if you download their footage and follow along you will learn skills that will save you dozens if not hundreds of hours in the years ahead.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Maultsby
on Feb 15, 2020 at 5:52:06 pm

Delan and Brad

Thank you sooo much both points makes a lot of sense.

Thank you.

Memory 32 gb

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 16, 2020 at 10:49:07 am

[Declan Smith] "Using the Function keys does on the surface seem quicker, but when an insert overwrites audio you have to back track."

If you enable clip layering you are not erasing audio with an insert. You can tidy up on the Fairlight page where you can view the clip layers and drag to other tracks without moving the video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]