FORUMS: list search recent posts

Output too high contrast on macbook pro

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Felix Swensson
Output too high contrast on macbook pro
on Dec 7, 2019 at 7:35:14 am

Hello everyone!

I know there has been numerous discussions on how clips look different in different software but this issue is new to me.

Yesterday I worked with a professional grader with a proper workstation. Everything is calibrated and set up the way it is supposed to. Things looked great on our reference monitor. We tried doing exports to both prores and h264 and the material looks great on most units (iphone, ipad, grading workstation etc). When opening these clips on my 2016 macbook pro the contrast is way too high and the blacks get crushed. Very strange.

I am delivering to a bunch of different formats. I know my material won't look perfect on all units but the difference when playing on my macbook pro compared to all other units is unacceptable.

I actually tried converting the clips after resolve using handbrake to h264 (mp4-extension) and that actually solved the problem. The blacks are no longer crushed on my macbook pro. Does anyone know what could be the problem here?

Best
/Felix

Return to posts index

Felix Swensson
Re: Output too high contrast on macbook pro
on Dec 7, 2019 at 8:10:06 am

I forgot to add that the image looks the same when opening in quicktime or VLC

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Output too high contrast on macbook pro
on Dec 9, 2019 at 5:04:26 am

Read these:

Grading for Mixed Delivery: Cinema, Home, and Every Screen in Between
https://blog.frame.io/2019/10/14/grading-mixed-delivery/

and I think it covers the issues and the solutions very well. Understanding color management is also helpful:

Color Management for Video Editors
https://jonnyelwyn.co.uk/film-and-video-editing/colour-management-for-video...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]