FORUMS: list search recent posts

grades to follow from one timeline to another

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Enginn Heima
grades to follow from one timeline to another
on Nov 18, 2019 at 1:05:09 pm
Last Edited By Enginn Heima on Nov 18, 2019 at 1:06:59 pm

What would be the best way to go about this?

I have a timeline of 1h40min all graded and I need to trim it down to a 52min version. So I'll start with duplicating my timeline before I start trimming, then I would like to keep it so that if I need to re-grade certain sequences, that the grades of the two timelines are connected somehow. Meaning, if I grade something on the 52min version after hand, it should automatically update the same shot in the long version.

Is there a way?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: grades to follow from one timeline to another
on Nov 18, 2019 at 1:13:04 pm

Colortrace, remote grades and/or shared nodes.

Return to posts index

Enginn Heima
on Nov 18, 2019 at 2:05:54 pm

Thank you Tero.

In my particular case, what do you think would be best to use?

Return to posts index

Enginn Heima
on Nov 18, 2019 at 5:19:50 pm

I was fiddling with remote and local grades and I noticed that the switching to remote only takes into account the clip grade and not the group pre-clip and group post-clip. I need the two timelines to take into account the groups as well. Is there a way to do this?

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Nov 19, 2019 at 3:28:42 am

I would only do it with ColorTrace.

You could also just export the complete film with baked-in color, and then chop up the color-corrected version. I've seen this done before, particularly for TV. If a new shot gets dropped in, put it on an adjacent video track so that you can immediately spot it and make sure it matches with the shots before and after.

This happens far more often than you might think. I would use a comparatively low-loss format like DPX or ProRes 444 or DNxHR 444.

Return to posts index

Enginn Heima
on Nov 19, 2019 at 6:35:52 am

Thank you Marc, your advice is much appreciated as always!

I will look seriously into Colortrace then!

As for your second advice... It did cross my mind but the problem is that I've only done like a first draft grade of the film and I would need to spend more time on the grading afterwards but this short version is needed too soon for a presentation and I won't be able to dig deeper into the grading before creating the short version. This means of course that once the sort version has left the house I will continue grading the long version but the short version might still be needed later on. Always too much rush and enter my dilemma.

Yes, well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]