FORUMS: list search recent posts

Considering DaVinci Resolve -- need wisdom

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lon Waitman
Considering DaVinci Resolve -- need wisdom
on Nov 11, 2019 at 3:47:50 pm

Hi,
I am considering leaving Premiere Pro and using something else (something without a monthly fee). I have heard good things about DaVinci Resolve. I have a few questions:

--How does it work with Windows 7?

--How does it work with Windows 10?

--If I am used to using Premiere Pro, how difficult a transition will moving to DaVinci Resolve be?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Considering DaVinci Resolve -- need wisdom
on Nov 11, 2019 at 4:16:04 pm

[Lon Waitman] "--How does it work with Windows 7?"

Resolve is officially supported only on Windows 10. It might work with 7 but there are some features on OS side that Resolve uses.

[Lon Waitman] "--If I am used to using Premiere Pro, how difficult a transition will moving to DaVinci Resolve be?"

Download the free version and try it.

Return to posts index

Lon Waitman
on Nov 11, 2019 at 4:48:37 pm

Hey Tero, thanks for your help! I am sorry to hear about it not working with Win 7.

I have found a place to download Resolve and it says it works for Win 10, 8 and 7, but this site is probably confused and incorrect. But on the DaVinci website, I can find no info about preferred OS for Resolve. Can you show me where it is mentioned on their website?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Lon Waitman
on Nov 11, 2019 at 4:51:31 pm

In my previous post, I said "but this site is probably confused and incorrect. " What I meant by that is that the download site that says Resolve works with Win 7 is confused and incorrect.

Return to posts index

Lon Waitman
on Nov 11, 2019 at 5:50:21 pm

Hey Tero,

I just found out (from DaVinci support) that the latest version of Resolve that will work with Win 7 is version 11.3.1 -- and this is available for download on their site, so i will get this and check it out. thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 11, 2019 at 11:03:08 pm
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Nov 11, 2019 at 11:08:35 pm

Resolve is up to version 16 and it has vastly improved since 11. I would not consider using version 11 and Win 7.

The edit side of 11 was poor as was real time performance so you are comparing Premiere to Resolve when it was a Color grade program with basic edit functionality, almost no audio capability. You are wasting your time in my opinion.

Only download software from Blackmagic's support site https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/davinci-resolve-and-fusion
Configuration guides are in the support notes.

Return to posts index

Pat Horridge
on Nov 12, 2019 at 8:07:30 am

Windows 7 is about to go end of support there is no sense in in sticking with that. But my main worry would be your hardware. If you need Windows 7 I'm guessing your hardware isn't current and resolve does need a suitably powerful system.

Pat Horridge
Broadcast & Post Consultant, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor
Free online Tutorials at VET digital media academy online http://vimeo.com/channels/752951
pat@vet.co.uk

Return to posts index

Lon Waitman
on Nov 12, 2019 at 1:49:17 pm

Thanks, Pat!

My plan is not to stick with 7. I just want to see if Resolve will work for me or not before I move to 10.

As far as my hardware. It is an older system, but when I got it, it was pretty good: Nvidia Quadro5000, 64 GB RAM, 2 Quad Core Intel Xeon E5420 processors.

Hopefully this still works.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 12, 2019 at 2:09:37 pm

[Lon Waitman] "Nvidia Quadro5000"

In GPU terms this is a really old card and is not supported with the latest version.

Return to posts index

Lon Waitman
on Nov 12, 2019 at 2:29:20 pm

I meant to say Nvidia Quadro K5000, not Quadro 5000...

Return to posts index

Lon Waitman
on Nov 12, 2019 at 1:38:01 pm

Thanks, Michael!

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 12, 2019 at 11:50:24 pm

Windows 7 isn't supported...doesn't mean it won't work.
Just means they don't test it, and won't really answered questions about issues with it
I just switched everything over to windows 10 a couple of months ago...I would try v16 on win 10.

You have nothing to lose.

Your hardware will be your most limiting factor. I think my laptop is running 15 in win 7.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Lon Waitman
on Nov 13, 2019 at 7:59:15 pm

Hey Glenn,

Thanks for the helpful info!

I did try downloading and installing version 15 on my Win 7 system. It said that it was installed successfully, but when I try to open the program, I get this error msg: "The procedure entry point clEnqueueMarkerWithWaitList could not be located in the dynamic link library OpenCL.dll"

Any ideas what that means or what I should do?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 13, 2019 at 9:04:04 pm

[Lon Waitman] "I get this error msg: "The procedure entry point clEnqueueMarkerWithWaitList could not be located in the dynamic link library OpenCL.dll"

My guess is your graphic card or driver is incompatible. Resolve, like all modern NLEs does need decent GPU power to operate, which is why Blackmagic have a compatibility list. As soon as you try to use it on non supported OS and with under powered old GPU or with old drivers, it might not work.

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Nov 13, 2019 at 10:46:10 pm

If you truly want to evaluate if Resolve suits your needs you will need a current model computer with a good GPU, W10 or MacOS and DaVinci Resolve 16.x

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Nov 14, 2019 at 9:48:38 pm

HI It works fine with Windows 10. I am using an old Dell with an I7 processor and built in 1 gigabit Etthernet port and just USB2 and just 16 Gig of RAM with a 2 TB Drive. Because of the huge size of ProRes 422 files I was forced to use External 8 TB drives to hold the decompressed videos. and then store the MP4 output from rendering on my NAS It all seems to work for me though I am currently editing only HD files. I will be switching to 4k soon which might be a problem. Currently apart from slow system start up I am very happy with my experience I can render an hour long video in 2 hours, That probably would be inadequate for a professional. My slowness is mainly related to my learning curve as I started in the basement.
Terence.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]