copy-paste a compound clip and making it a shared node

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Enginn Heima
copy-paste a compound clip and making it a shared node
on Nov 5, 2019 at 8:52:10 am
Last Edited By Enginn Heima on Nov 5, 2019 at 8:53:21 am

A quick question.

Is there a way to copy-paste a compound clip across grades? And then making it a shared node?

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: copy-paste a compound clip and making it a shared node
on Nov 6, 2019 at 5:36:47 am

A clip is not a grade -- these are two different terms.

A clip is a physical piece of material, a file in a specific codec (DPX, R3D, ProRes, DNxHR, etc.). A grade is a specific color correction stored as a node or a series of nodes in a Resolve session.

Shared Nodes, Group Grades, Timeline Grades, and individual clip grades all have their specific uses, but there is no one "best way" to work. I know what works for me, but I strive for simplicity and reliability over everything else. I'm a little suspicious of Shared Nodes and I avoid them at the moment, but some people use them successfully and are fine with them. Some are fans of Local & Remote Grades, and that's another feature I rarely use, but some do and there are positive points for it (all explained in the manual).

I'm a big fan of using Gallery Grades and Memory Stills to apply a specific look across many shots of a scene, then I dive in and trim each shot as needed so that everything matches uniformly. I don't know if this answers your question, but this works for me.

Return to posts index

Enginn Heima
Re: copy-paste a compound clip and making it a shared node
on Nov 6, 2019 at 4:30:27 pm

Thank you Marc.

Sorry, I meant a Compound Node of course and not a Compound Clip. I guess there isn't a way to copy paste a compound node and I should look into these local and remote grades.

Like you, I like to use power grades in the gallery, but what I'm looking for is not to apply a whole grade but a part of a grade, which is my compound node.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]