FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you make several videos of the same subject

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terence Christopher
How do you make several videos of the same subject
on Sep 16, 2019 at 6:29:43 pm

I am making several videos of the same subject but from different angles. Is there a way of putting them in a single "project" I am at the moment seeing projects as something with a single output. If that is the case is there a higher level of organistation with multiple projects clustered under a higher level description?
Thanks
Terence

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: How do you make several videos of the same subject
on Sep 16, 2019 at 11:31:22 pm

You can have multiple timelines within a project.

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Sep 17, 2019 at 1:25:44 am

Thanks I didn't understand that It is exactly what I was thinking of doing. Can I then produce separate videos in this way from the same data and then store them in a folder as a group for independent viewing?
Is there some sort of naming convention that I should use to show this connection? eg Like: My movie 1, My movie 2 etc
Where should I look this up I did not see it in the manual?
on another subject I still do not have a good idea about the organisation of the videos I am producing and currently do it by the date of the shoot though there are many non filed cross references of subject, setting, people involved etc
I keep thinking I need a database reference system to classify this. How do you do it?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 17, 2019 at 2:20:24 am

You can make multiple movies from the same original camera files in a single project by placing them in separate timelines and export each timeline. How you name them is up to you. For example I might have different versions of a documentary. One for a broadcaster in Australia. Another for international distributors etc. Each timeline is a variation, maybe with different start times, or slightly different edits and durations. I name them accordingly or as required by the broadcaster.

The point is that once your files are imported to a project, you can make as many versions as you like within a project by making another timeline. Each timeline can be exported as a finished file on the delivery page.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 23, 2019 at 2:33:56 pm

A way I explain that to kids is, think of your clips as songs in an iPod playlist. You can make new playlists and re-order, add, or drop songs to a playlist, but it's non-destructive: the original songs remain unchanged, and the playlist is just a list of pointers to that song and others, defining the order of playing. That's non-destructive editing, a key concept of NLE systems.

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Sep 23, 2019 at 5:26:06 pm

Thanks Mark, It is important that the individual clips should remain intact. However my problem has arisen from the fact that I only detected problems with clips after processing them in Da Vinci and then have to back track to find where the problem developed. This then makes me need to change around the original file structures of the clips. It has been a nightmare.
Thanks for your help
Terence

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Sep 23, 2019 at 5:41:12 pm

Thanks Michael, I assume that you might have different arrangement of content for the different purposes that you outline. Do you then have a way of classifying and retrieving the videos by their content rather than just by their destination? ie by a supervisor with descriptive key words or some such device. Simply classifying by date and customer does not give an overview of the videos you have produced as things like subject , processing and many other aspects might make retrieval easier in the future.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 24, 2019 at 10:13:22 am

I rely on the file name giving me the information I need to determine which version the file is.

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Sep 24, 2019 at 10:35:21 pm

Thanks that is a great help. I am slowly learning this but I am not well organised.
Terence

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]