FORUMS: list search recent posts

Colour Grade Workflow

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy Gallagher
Colour Grade Workflow
on Sep 13, 2019 at 2:20:55 pm

Hello

So I am the editor on a film project. I exported an XML from Adobe Premiere pro for the colorist which they have graded. However, all the resizing , effects and credits did not go through the XMl. In terms of my workflow for finishing, Would she sent me the version with the effects and credits added back in and just export a Pro Res 4444 or would she send me a graded project file and I finish the rest of the work in DaVinci Resolve (I have never worked with it before so hopefully its not too different from Premiere) or in Premiere.

Sorry if the question does not make sense or sounds a little silly. It's my first time working with an outside colorist.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Colour Grade Workflow
on Sep 14, 2019 at 5:27:15 am

There are usually two different options that should be talked about before starting the work:

1: A roundtrip workflow where you get the graded footage back (probably with some heads/tails) in the source resolution without any effects/resizing/scaling. Then you can relink them to your timeline.

2: The colorist does an online edit matching scaling/position changes and burning in transitions. You will get a flattened master file back.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Colour Grade Workflow
on Sep 16, 2019 at 2:49:28 am

Premiere does resizing differently to Resolve. Resolve scales first and then applies resizing. Premiere can also do that but it's an extra step for editors and it also doesn't transfer when parts of one timeline are copy pasted into another.

If you know your xml is from Pr, then you need to change the way Resolve handles the pre scaling. That way the xml info for resize translates correctly. Too late once you have started and changed scale info.

I never resend back to Pr after grading. I always finish in Resolve. I also ask the editor how they have handled scaling in the edit before importing the xml.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]