FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve 16 very slow with a "good" PC

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matteo Proromo
Resolve 16 very slow with a "good" PC
on Sep 1, 2019 at 4:10:06 am

Hello, I'm using DaVinci Resolve Studio 16.0.0.060 (the latest stable version of 16) on a Windows 10 machine (OS version 1903, OS Build 18362.295). The files I work with are UHD 60fps BRAW clips with 8:1 constant bitrate filmed with my BMPCC4K.
I can't manage to make DaVinci neither quick or smooth. To cache even a few minutes of footage it can take more than one hour and applying even two nodes in the Color page makes the footage go at 10fps.
I've tried everything: working with a 720p timeline, generating optimized media, caching everything. For the latest two, I need to wait forever and it doesn't become 100% smooth even then.
I cannot even go near the Fusion page, but I would like to use at least the Edit and the Color pages.
Thanks for your time!

My PC's specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core 3.7 GHz (4.3 GHz Max Boost)
RAM: 64 GB (Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 PC4-24000)
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 590 Gaming 8GB GDDR5
SSD's: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB SSD NVMe M.2 (boot drive + programs)
Crucial MX500 SSD 1000GB SATA (to save and archive my files)

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
Re: Resolve 16 very slow with a "good" PC
on Sep 1, 2019 at 4:40:36 am

I suspect the 60fps is the problem. Do a test and see what happens with 24fps files.

I would also run the latest BMD Disk Speed Test and see what it says about HFR files. I would also bet that two more-powerful GPUs with at least 11GB of RAM (like the 1080ti or Titan) will give you better results. GPU drivers could also be an issue.

Return to posts index

Matteo Proromo
on Sep 1, 2019 at 1:04:53 pm

Hi. Since I can't decide whether working with 24fps files or 60fps - because I need to work with 60fps, I'm not really concerned to see if going with a 24 framerate would change anything, but more if I can make 60fps clips work, one way or another.
Will changing the timeline framerate do any good?
By the way: BMD speed test is for the Mac only.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Sep 1, 2019 at 3:42:03 pm

I'm a firm believer in a nice fast raid system for this type of work. Put you drives together and get some proper throughput on a 10g line.

BMD disk speed tester is very much available for windows. been using it on my windows systems for years.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Matteo Proromo
on Sep 1, 2019 at 4:07:02 pm

Glenn: Where is it? The only thing "kinda looking" like the real one is a hacked, fake, non original version that seems to have adapted the design for Windows although on my 4K monitor it looks terrible and it's not properly readable.

Return to posts index

Matteo Proromo
on Sep 1, 2019 at 4:18:02 pm

And could you please explain the advantages of the RAID system? Because my 1T SSD has speeds of around 450 MB/s and the files I generate with the camera have less than 100 MB/s. That's why I thought the Crucial SSD was more than enough to handle them.

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Sep 1, 2019 at 8:01:05 pm

the raid will multply your throughput. I'm not an engineer, but the more drives involved, the better the throughput. I get true 10g read speads with my Qnap which has 8 drives in it.

As Bob Zelin will tell you over at the storage forum....the tech specs might say good enough, but the real world specs will tell you different...not sure you can ever have enough throughput, especially with 4k and everthing else that people through at their footage. Different codecs and different situations will cause different bottlenecks on the system. Get a good storage setup, and use it for storage and storage alone.

My cache files go to an ssd stripe set in the qnap, and my main storage goes to one of the 3 qnaps at my disposal, all connected via 10g. (1 main unit, and 2 daisy chain expanders)

Blackmagic disk speed test is either installed with Desktop video or Resolve...not sure which one.
It shows up in Program Files/Blackmagic Design/Disk Speed test on my box, as well it has a shortcut automatically installed under Blackmagic on the start menu.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Matteo Proromo
on Sep 1, 2019 at 8:45:46 pm

Wooooow. They couldn't hide it more if they wanted to! xD
It was hidden in the Desktop Video package. Thanks, Glenn.
I'll check your suggestion about the drives.

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Sep 14, 2019 at 7:35:25 am

Your cpu: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core 3.7 GHz, have only 20 pcie lanes

So mayby you have to test the speed of your:

Gigabyte Radeon RX 590 Gaming 8GB GDDR5

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB SSD NVMe M.2

Best,
Ole

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>