FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speeding up Resolve in 6K with a Macbook

COW Forums : Color Grading

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
jabbar thomas
Speeding up Resolve in 6K with a Macbook
on Jul 25, 2019 at 1:03:05 am

Hi Folks,

I ham coloring a music video shot on a Red Dragon 6K camera at 6144 x 2592 at 24.976 fps. It was shot Log encoded. I am limited to coloring on a 15-inch Macbook Pro (Mid 2012) Quad Core 2.3 GHz processor with only 8GB of RAM at 1600 MHz. I unflattened the footage using the Master Wheels fairly quickly but I am running into some serious issues balancing the footage and doing any creative grading.

Ultimately I am having a very, very tough time coloring in 6K---extremely slow image updates when I make grades are slowing me a snail's pace.

The client wants to output to 4K in the end for website delivery. I would like to know how can I lower the resolution to 4K within Resolve so as to speed my process up a bit?

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Speeding up Resolve in 6K with a Macbook
on Jul 25, 2019 at 3:58:38 am

You are trying to do some seriously hardware intensive stuff with a really slow computer. You will need a proper workstation to work with those resolutions. You could squeak by by making 720p or 1080p proxies of your footage and working in that resolution and then rendering the project on another computer.

Return to posts index

jabbar thomas
on Jul 25, 2019 at 3:52:33 pm

Thanks! What about if I down-rez it to 4K?

Thanks,
Jabbar

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jul 25, 2019 at 4:18:59 pm

[jabbar thomas] "What about if I down-rez it to 4K?
"

Just get a proper workstation if you're thinking about doing something in 4K in Resolve.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 25, 2019 at 5:20:26 pm

[jabbar thomas] "limited to coloring on a 15-inch Macbook Pro"

Wish the language was not so Crayola oriented, but whatever. You are trying to sail a 12-foot boat across the ocean. Your only choice is to try to make the ocean smaller.

Switch the project setting to a 3840x2160 timeline; the output to HD (you can find all of these in the Project Settings dialog) and maybe even do some research on editing with proxies (choose something like ProRes 422Proxy, as light as possible without resorting to a Long-GOP codec) and then go the re-link route for the final render. The grade will stay with you through the resolution jumps -- Resolve is resolution-independent.

At least you aren't falling into the LUT trap, yet. I gave up trying to reverse-engineer the LOG transfer function with my own correction when you get all that for free by adopting an ACES cct Color Management strategy. Also more universal in interpretation when exporting for other exhibition formats.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Eric Sternberger
on Jul 26, 2019 at 6:58:39 am

Yeah, like racing the formula 1 - with a beetle...

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jul 26, 2019 at 7:05:24 am

[Eric Sternberger] "Yeah, like racing the formula 1 - with a beetle..."
I think a better analogy is "using a skateboard to get from LA to Vegas." It's a lot better in a powerful car, preferably with lots and lots of air conditioning.

I have no idea why people think a light-powered 2012 laptop is going to work well with 4K material. This is all covered very well in Blackmagic's extensive system requirements... and those are not posted just for fun. You really have to read them in order to understand what kind of hardware and OS requirements you need to run the program.

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ConfigGuides/DaVinciResolve15/201804...

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 26, 2019 at 10:58:15 pm

[Marc Wielage] "in a powerful car, preferably with lots and lots of air conditioning."

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs begin to take hold.

Raoul Duke, Part 1, Chapter 1

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]