FORUMS: list search recent posts

I have just ccrashed DaVinci 16

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terence Christopher
I have just ccrashed DaVinci 16
on Jun 29, 2019 at 5:54:14 am

I think that I should report an error that I made which cause DaVinci 16 to seize up. I found that one of my partially complete videos had recorded that link to a clip was missing. I thought it would be easy to correct and went into relink clips in the edit menu and then found a possible but incorrect clip. The programme could not verify the linkage and stopped. I was unable to perform any action to back out of the situation, and was forced to shut down DaVinci 16 by using task manager.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
Re: I have just ccrashed DaVinci 16
on Jun 30, 2019 at 5:04:56 pm

This is interesting. I have avoided any experiments with DV 16 because it is still a public beta release . . . https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/davinci-resolve-and-fusion . . . and I have enough trouble learning DV 15. I trust you are reporting your experiences to BMD.
Thanks for reporting on the Beta version,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Jun 30, 2019 at 6:19:34 pm

No I reported t here with the expectation that someone would pass it on. I don't know of any formal way of reporting things like this.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Jun 30, 2019 at 6:30:13 pm

I imagine we can all pass these things along to the software designers, eg via https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/contact/email
But thanks for reporting here. I'll stay away from the DV 16 for now and continue learning DV 15.

Cheers,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Jun 30, 2019 at 8:40:03 pm

p.s. I am a very low quality of student in the matters of Davinci however I recently tried 16 and found that it seemed easier to use than 15 and more intuitive. I am finding more of the important features with less difficulty so I would not go back to 15.
Previously I had trouble with 15 because it would not accept my M2t files and had to learn to use Pro res which works well with both.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 30, 2019 at 10:47:30 pm

Here's where Blackmagic wish bug reports to be posted.
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewforum.php?f=32

Posting here may be of interest to COW readers but will not get back to Blackmagic

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jul 1, 2019 at 2:09:55 pm

You can always send a question to Blackmagic support.
Don't assume someone on this forum is taking up the tasks of reporting other peoples findings to Blackmagic.

At the bottom of their support page is a link to email or phone with a specific question or concern.
They have a forum on their site as well, and as much as they do monitor it, and chime in, it isn't really the official way to post a support ticket. Sometimes they respond to forum posts...sometimes they don't.

Glenn

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Jul 2, 2019 at 1:44:17 pm

As others have pointed out......

Phone support for Resolve is for the studio version ($300). You can get support from the community at the Resolve forums for the public (free) version. The Resolve Facebook page is for professional users of Resolve.

Regardless, you are not going to get a lot of support for a lot of issues for the beta version regardless of it being the free or paid for version. Resolve released the beta version for users of all levels to report bugs and problems so they can address those issues in future releases, not spend time with end users to fix it in the current release.

Beta versions are for testing, not production. By using the beta version you are a community free tester, one of the guinea pigs! One of the most important parts of being a tester is to include the log files when reporting bugs and issues. Development uses the logs to determine what is happening in the background, the part as a user you do not see, and help them discover the question 'why'.

I don't understand your comment about 16 beta being "more intuitive" than v15. It is the same interface, but whatever works for you, just keep in mind if you are doing production with a beta version you can expect errors, problems, issues, crashes, and instability.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Jul 2, 2019 at 4:34:58 pm

Hi George. Thanks for your comment. I wrote the note solely to raise the possibility of a bug, not to request help. I have subsequently reported it on the Black Magic forum as I was advised to. I am now struggling with resetting the audio/video synch on clips that were fouled up by some previous programme that I had used. Though not yet successful I have found it easier to use than in 15 though perhaps it just reflects where I am on the learning curve.
I am still accommodating to the need for gobs of disc space for handling the uncompressed files. I am now doubtful that I can fit two year's videoing onto 8 TB ignoring backup.
Thanks for your help
Graham

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Jul 2, 2019 at 5:43:53 pm

Hi Terence,

You have jogged my memory, and although I don't recall the specifics I do now remember you had some previous threads fighting the m2t files and available disk space with your large and multiple projects.

It's good that you reported the bug, as it may not just be in v16 beta but also in v15, just so obscure that others haven't found it or haven't reported it.

Anyway, best of luck getting things in your project linked up and finished up.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Jul 3, 2019 at 2:24:07 pm

I have followed everyone's advice and sent the information to the Black Magic forum.
Thanks everyone for the advice.

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Jul 3, 2019 at 5:48:57 pm

George Thanks for your comment. I have made progress with that project which is satisfying though I have a long way to go. However I am now stymied by a problem I have encountered with ER Media Toolkit. It is a superb program and I have been using it to convert my videos to Pro Res 422 which it has done smoothly. However I was encountering frequent desynchronisation. of the video and audio. As most of my videos do not have full face shots of conversation i didn't realise the problem. However recent clip showed that this had occurred from using the ER Media Toolkit. I have contacted them for help but just in case things do not work out, can you recommend another programme that you use for creating pro res 422 from M2T or mp4 files. This problem might just arise from my awkward M2T format.
Thanks
Terence

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Jul 4, 2019 at 2:02:34 am

Hi Terence,

Before this reply I ran a 6 1/2 minute m2t (the longest I have) clip through ProResER and then brought it into Resolve 16b3. The sound sync was perfect. Then I processed the m2t clip again in ProResER and this time I selected 'Extract Audio to WAV'. I brought these two files into Resolve 16b3 and again the audio sync was perfect.

I'm thinking your m2t clips are much longer than mine, so you may want to check some of your converter ProRes 422 clips at about the 6 minute mark. If they are out of sync at that point, then it may be caused by your source. If they have not fell out of sync by the 6 minute mark, then my test results may not be of any use. At any rate you may want to try a test using the 'Extract Audio to WAV' option and see if that creates an audio file that will stay in sync with the video.

As far as other options to convert your m2t to ProRes 422, I know of no others, other than of course using command lines for ffmpeg, which is what ProResER is doing. ProResER, as I understand it is a front end interface for ffmpeg which is the engine used behind the scenes.

You could use Handbrake and convert to a high bit rate x.264 file. Of course MediaER will convert to mp4 and you can crank up the bit rate to preserve quality.

It's disappointing you have gone through so much with your projects and now the audio sync issue. Wish I could offer you more, Good Luck with it.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Jul 4, 2019 at 5:00:39 am

George Thanks so much for responding so promptly and running that test. Yes my video is an hour long and the problem showed up in the first few minutes when I had a full face video of my 2 1/2 year old grandson having a conversation. I had requested several of the options such as deinterlacing, constraining to 1080, and anamorphic as the video otherwise comes out as a 3X4 NTSC image. I will try different combinations of these to see if they influence the outcome and then try the wav test. Does that wav output come out as two separate files or is it still synced? I have not yet learned how to handle separate audio tracks
Thanks for taking the time to help me with this. From my view point it is well worth my time to solve the problem.
Graham

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Jul 4, 2019 at 12:54:18 pm

Hi Terence,

It will come out with 2 files, the ProRes 422 video and a matching WAV audio. Place them on the time line, audio below the video clip starting at the precise same point and they should be the same in length to fall into sync. I'm suspicious if this will work, but worth a try.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Jul 5, 2019 at 12:39:20 am

Thanks I will attempt that and try to find where the problem is. I have been working on restoring the synchronisation of the file in DaVinci 16 and its almost right. If I get it right could I save that back into my source? I will need to investigate the problem before charging ahead with more video and if I come up with anything I will report it back to you. Thanks indeed for all of your support. I am learning to navigate Da Vinci by bouncing off of the walls.
Terence

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Jul 5, 2019 at 1:47:48 am

Hi Terence, there are various formats you can use in Resolve, probably I would use DNx.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Jul 5, 2019 at 7:34:03 am

Hi George I have just tested another video with the same parameters, both with and without de interlacing. Unfortunately Both of these files showed a loss of sync when compared with the original. I had completely switched over to Pro Res. I don't know what is wrong with my videos, but I think I will try your suggestion and switch to DNX
However I will sleep on it first.
Thanks for the suggestion
Terence

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 5, 2019 at 2:46:38 pm

[Terence Christopher] "a loss of sync when compared with the original"

This is starting to remind me of a general problem with some consumer-level generated clips, mobile devices the leading culprit. Many of these create media with a variable frame rate as a file-size reduction strategy. These play back fine, when the Player software can deal with how the frame sequence relates to real-time synch. It would be like punching a sprocket hole only in the film strip where it would be needed to advance to the next frame. Otherewise, hold onto the frame in the gate, sort of thing. Not actually what happens.

This works great with iMovie, etc., but most NLEs, Resolve included, really want intra-frame coding and depend on a constant frame rate, and will treat every frame as sequential and will play them at the project rate until otherwise notified. I hit this for the first time dealing with some phone footage my daughter wanted me to process for her... about ten years ago... Re-encoding it is the only way to re-flag the frame rate, and it would really help if it was a true intra codec with discrete frames, not another Long-GOP.

jPO, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]