FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting Audio

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Edwards
Exporting Audio
on Jun 17, 2019 at 8:12:45 am

I have video plus seven audio tracks, six intended for 5.1 and one stereo pair. I would like to export them as six tracks for a 5.1 mix, so bringing the 5.1 and stereo mixes together. Can this be done within Resolve and if so how?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Exporting Audio
on Jun 17, 2019 at 6:53:28 pm

Should you not be exporting them as 8 tracks?
5.1 plus stereo? (or 6 mono and a stereo pair?)

Where are you planning on putting the stereo tracks in relation to the 5.1 mix?

Typically you would have 6 mono tracks L R C LFE Ls Rs and either a stereo pair or (as I prefer) two mono tracks panned for the stereo version.

In Resolve delivery you then set up the individual track outputs under audio, checking that each mono track is listed as mono, and your stereo tracks for 7/8 are listed as you have them set on the timeline, as either stereo or duo mono.

You wouldn't want to add the stereo mix into your 6 channels of 5.1 mix.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Exporting Audio
on Jun 18, 2019 at 3:30:53 am

[Glenn Sakatch] "You wouldn't want to add the stereo mix into your 6 channels of 5.1 mix."

Agreed, that would be a bad thing.

You do also have other options, provided that this is not a *broadcast*-type deliverable (where the individual channels would likely want to be delivered separately, although you would need to define the stereo components, L+R as a stereo pair so they would have that phase relationship.

There is a possibility of exporting essentially two tracks -- one interleaved surround, and one stereo. It can make life complicated for successive unpacking, but for interpretive players, the track assignments within each delivery channel actually gets easier, because the flags will be there identifying L,R,C,Lfe,Ls,Rs so they will be correctly bussed to monitor channels. Gets easier to export multiple deliverables where the channel hierarchy is different, example C,L,R,Ls,Rs,Lfe would still be fanned out correctly even with the SMPTE assignment in the mezzanine.

It just takes everybody being on the same page... as if that would ever happen, but....

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]