FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve 15 edit question - video only or audio only edits

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Resolve 15 edit question - video only or audio only edits
on May 29, 2019 at 1:09:14 pm

Resolve 15 - Edit page. Is there a simple keyboard command to overwrite or insert only audio or only video from a source clip with audio and video on it, without requiring a modified drag & drop? Or can you disable source audio tracks or video on the source clip before making the edit?

It's a very basic edit function, but for the life of me, I can't find it. TIA.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Resolve 15 edit question - video only or audio only edits
on May 29, 2019 at 6:55:59 pm

You see that the tracks will have a red outline on them? If you want to do video only, click the audio tracks with the red outline to turn it off, then do the INSERT or OVERWRITE.

But yeah, the fact that we CAN'T see the source side separate from the timeline side bothers me. In Media Composer and Premiere Pro, I can have a timeline with 1 V and 2A...and then load a clip that is 1V and 8A...and see that right away, I can see all 8 tracks of audio on the source side. ANd turn them off if I want. IN Resolve, I can't see that. Only if I have 8 or more tracks can I see if the source side has that many, and the only way to tell is if they have red outlines.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 29, 2019 at 7:34:22 pm

In my case, I have 1 audio track on the timeline the contains the final mixed track and it's locked. V1 is the graded original footage. When I go to insert a clip onto V2 (for example a reference export from the offline editor), it also defaults to creating an additional, audio track A2 and edit audio to it along with the video edit to V2. This means I have to perform the edit and then select and delete the new audio clip. I think at that point, with a new, blank A2, it will perform a video-only edits once I set the target track accordingly. As far as I can tell.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 29, 2019 at 10:25:17 pm

Yup...that's my complaint. Not being able to see how many INCOMING tracks there are, until you cut a shot in. A big weakness in DR

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on May 30, 2019 at 3:52:40 am

[Oliver Peters] "When I go to insert a clip onto V2 (for example a reference export from the offline editor), it also defaults to creating an additional, audio track A2 and edit audio to it along with the video edit to V2."
If I was dealing with a reference clip in a conform situation, I'd do two things:

1) option-drag from the bin so that only the video comes over and not the audio at all

2) consider only bringing in that clip as a Reference File, which you can use for comparison as an Offline Reference (either in the source window or on the main color page).

There are advantages and disadvantages to each method. For color, I usually go with the Reference File import, but I know quite a few people who'll use a specific track on the Edit page for a visual reference during conform, usually as a split-screen.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 30, 2019 at 11:38:19 am

Thanks Marc. Yes, these will work, however, I was hoping to avoid the modifier+drag method, but I guess there is no other option. As far as reference clip, I was only using this as an example. In the actual situation, I'm inserting prebuilt titles, which happen to have reference audio. Thanks.

I wonder if any of this will be changed when R16 hits the release build.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]