FORUMS: list search recent posts

Finishing a project from Resolve - Master and DCP

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greta Mabral
Finishing a project from Resolve - Master and DCP
on May 28, 2019 at 4:13:19 pm

Dear all,

I am color correcting my first video in Resolve and I have a few questions for you. Being still quite unexperienced please forgive my confusion.

My question and my workflow.

I shot some footage with a Panasonic DVX in Minidv 25p and edited it with Avid MC.
I sent my footage through AAF to Resolve Studio 15 and put it in a HD timeline to color correct; there I also added another clip which was already in HD (ProRes).

Now I am finished color grading, and I have to create a masterfile and a DCP but I am not sure how to proceed. I am wondering what is the best way to create the highest possible quality master of this footage.
Should I do it myself or turn to a lab? Would a professional lab be able to create a master file of higher quality than I can do with my laptop? What are my possibilities?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Finishing a project from Resolve - Master and DCP
on May 29, 2019 at 4:14:08 am

[Greta Mabral] "I am wondering what is the best way to create the highest possible quality master of this footage. "

Uncompressed EXR sequence. Based on the original footage that would be a bit overkill though. Prores422HQ is probably enough for a master in this case.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on May 29, 2019 at 4:48:46 am

bizarrely speaking, anything above 12 bits is a waste of space as jpeg2000 DCP's encode to 12 bits only. so you aren't getting better quality going higher than that in the media container.

Return to posts index

Christie Allanson
on May 30, 2019 at 9:25:20 pm

Hi all,

Sorry this is quite the right place to ask but can't find anywhere else!

Just using OpenDCP, exporting my TIFFs to JPEG 2000, I have a few questions. What are threads? Under bandwidth setting it has asked me how many thread - I've left it at default 4 for now but can someone explain?
Do I HAVE to transform to XYZ? Currently in REC709 and I'm not understanding why the conversion seems necessary?

Many thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 31, 2019 at 1:13:56 am

Threads are your CPU threads. To make it as quick as possible use all of them

XYZ is required for DCP. Can I just say that the world of DCP delivery is not for the faint hearted. Understanding the basic tech is just the beginning of a world of pain.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]