FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why does Windows rename my raw files?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neal Reville
Why does Windows rename my raw files?
on Apr 17, 2019 at 11:17:03 am

Hi all
I have a memory card filled with Braw files from a Pocket 4K. Using an appropriate card reader, I downloaded the files onto my edit computer without problems. A little later, ready to try manipulating one of the files, I found I could not drag it into the Media Pool. Checking back to my data disc, I suddenly realised that all of my Braw files were now shown as Windows Media Player files (under Type) and not Braw as they had been when first downloaded. Presumably, this is why I cannot successfully drag any of them to the Media Pool.

Not only that, my memory card, when now plugged into the edit computer, also lists all its files as Windows Media Player and no longer Braw.

Clearly, I think, Windows 10 is the culprit. I have never encountered this before, but there must surely be a way to prevent this happening. I assume the solution is simple, but, try as I might over most of a day, and searching Windows help, I have got nowhere. Please, can anyone help?

I should add that I am an absolute beginner regarding raw files and falling behind with Windows. Thanks in advance.

Neal Reville

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
Re: Why does Windows rename my raw files?
on Apr 17, 2019 at 12:13:19 pm

Hi

What version of Davinci Resolve do you have install on your computer ?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Apr 17, 2019 at 1:47:43 pm

Where do you see it renamed?
And how are you viewing this, from Explorer?
In the olden days, Windows would truncate all files with over so many characters.
That was the bad days for VFX for me :P

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 17, 2019 at 11:46:51 pm

I don't know that windows has renamed them, but is rather suggesting a program to use them to open them up?
If you right click on a file and try "Open with" and try pointing it to Resolve as a preferred program..that might remove the WMP as the type? I wouldn't think either way this would stop Resolve from opening them in the media pool anyway, something odd going on.

If you tell windows to show file extensions, I would hope it still has the original extension.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Neal Reville
on Apr 18, 2019 at 2:01:01 am

Thank you all for your replies. Sorry, I missed stating my version of Resolve - it's 15.2 Studio. And yes, I guess I am looking from explorer. The file is preceded by the Windows Media Player logo and the type is listed accordingly. Windows 10 is also the latest.

I shall start experimenting with the file extensions. When I try to drag the file in the usual way it appears to drag OK, ie the usual little "copy" box appears but on releasing the mouse key it vanishes with nothing in the Media pool.

Neal Reville

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Apr 21, 2019 at 4:44:53 pm

Perhaps if you upload one of your files to we transfer, or smash, or dropbox i can try it on my system.
I run both windows and mac, so easy to see if it works in one and not the other.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 23, 2019 at 8:47:26 am

Depending on the camera software that shot the BRAW files, you may need to upgrade to 15.3.1 as many of those point upgrades were for BRAW developments specific to cameras like the Ursa Mini Pro G2 and the PCC4k

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]