FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kakadu DPC exports with large "Da Vinci Resolve" graphic overlay???

COW Forums : NAB Show

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Alan Langdon
Kakadu DPC exports with large "Da Vinci Resolve" graphic overlay???
on Apr 4, 2019 at 6:14:54 pm

Hello. I am very new to Da Vinci (using it for first time, mostly just to get a DCP of some test footage for a cinema projection).
Footage shot in Canon C200 Raw Light, and thenn brought into Da Vinci directlly. Then exported out a DCP using Kakadu JPEG200 option, and the result has a huge Da Vinci Resolve graphic overlay, unusable even for projection tests... What am I missing? Do I need to pay a license?
Many thanks in advance for any input
(see attached image)

screenshot2019-04-04at15.07.34.jpg

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Kakadu DPC exports with large "Da Vinci Resolve" graphic overlay???
on Apr 5, 2019 at 4:44:13 am

You need to buy the studio version to use that feature hence the studio version watermark.

Return to posts index

Andi Winter
on Apr 5, 2019 at 2:56:07 pm

hard to renember, but i think in version 15.1 the non studio version could
render out dcps...

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 6, 2019 at 4:30:24 am

Not to my knowledge. Spend the money and buy the Studio version.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 6, 2019 at 7:41:59 pm

[Marc Wielage] "Spend the money"

Interesting thing happened last autumn after Black Magic released the Studio version with DCP authoring included. Fraunhofer easyDCP had to respond. Of course they were the company that BMD had partnered with to roll-in a licensed DCP presence. At first all I really needed was the Player, which actually cost more than Resolve Studio, because I was using CineAsset and Qubemaster; which got mangled with Dolby acquisitions, but that is another story.

Surprise, Christmas comes early -- no matter what license a current Support subscriber owned - you got the full easyDCP export package including encryption and KDM generation, which is gold standard. Over the years, I have almost recovered from the screwing-over I got from Silicon Color FinalTouch2K when they sold out to Apple with the subsequent free availability of Apple COLOR (same application, but XML finally worked). This is the result of hanging in with financial faith in licensed assets. You have to think of it as a partnership and investment. Otherwise you would be reprising Hamlet's soliloquy. Slings and Arrows, &c.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 6, 2019 at 7:55:09 pm

Yeah, I remember when Joe was an early adopter of Silicon Color. (By the same token, a good buddy of mine invested in Shake, and he was horrified to see the price go from $4950 to $2999 to $499... and then vanish over a period of a few years. So sadly, there's precedence for this before.

The hope is that everybody got to make their money out of the platform before it collapsed, and I know people who are still actually using Shake (albeit with older OS's). In the case of Resolve, be glad you only paid $995 for it and not $200,000+, as some users did. As Jason Bowdach noted sometime back:

So I try to see this as a "glass half-full" situation: more good than bad.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Apr 6, 2019 at 10:28:40 pm

And I forgot about this shot from NAB 2010 (which is hard to find), which shows how full-flown Resolve went from about $500,000 to $99,995 from 2009-2010:

It's fair to say there was some "concern" from companies who had invested anywhere from $200,000 to $500,000 in Resolve when it was owned by daVinci Systems in Florida, only to see it go down below $100,000 after Blackmagic took it over in late 2009. But this is how technology has been going lately; I see it as inevitable. Faster, cheaper, better. My hope is that the work of experienced artists, editors, colorists, and sound mixers still has a very real value.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]