Monitor calibration

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Enginn Heima
Monitor calibration
on Feb 8, 2019 at 10:43:41 am
Last Edited By Enginn Heima on Feb 8, 2019 at 10:48:51 am

Hello.

Always this same confusing subject for me, but I'll try to make this as clear as possible and if anyone could throw in their two cents, I would be much obliged!

I'm working with rushes from a Sony a7sII shot in cine4 Color mode.

I calibrated my monitor (hooked up via cdmi and a Blackmagic Desktop mini monitor 4k card) using the x-rite i1 display probe and DisplayCal.

Once I profiled my monitor I chose my monitors 3D LUT in 3D Monitor Lookup Table inside Color management in Resolve (v.15.0.1).

(I pretty much followed these steps:

Does anyone see any problem with this method?

Now, I set my input Color space to Rec709 Gamma2.4 and my timeline Color space to Rec709 Gamma 2.4 and off I go!

The problem I have, is that the rushes look way off: they lack blacks and the colors look washed out. This is compared to how they look inside premiere or in any media player or even on another system. But fine, once I've graded the exports look consistent enough between platforms, but it's annoying to start off from such a point.

In other words, the "before-and-after" inside Resolve just doesn't make any sense since the "before" doesn't look anything like the "before" on any other platform.

I hope this is clear!

Best regards.

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
Re: Monitor calibration
on Feb 8, 2019 at 12:44:09 pm

Does anyone see any problem with this method? Yes

In time 07:55, He forgets to set some options: No LUT selected !

Return to posts index

Enginn Heima
on Feb 8, 2019 at 12:51:56 pm

Thank you for the input. So any suggestions as in which LUT to select here?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 8, 2019 at 12:54:22 pm

The GUI viewers and scopes shouldn't use any LUT especially if you don't know what they do.

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Feb 8, 2019 at 1:01:50 pm

Your settings must be as shown in the image - No LUT selected

Return to posts index

Enginn Heima
on Feb 8, 2019 at 1:34:23 pm

I set them to No LUT, but the change is ever so slight on the scopes, but I dare say that the output to my video monitor is still the same.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 8, 2019 at 2:32:34 pm

Try changing the data levels from the clip attributes. They might be interpreted incorrectly.

Return to posts index

Enginn Heima
on Feb 8, 2019 at 4:03:05 pm

Didn't do the trick, it was set to Auto, and putting it to video levels didn't change anything.

On the other hand, when I'm in the media pool and I select the original clip the clip appears as it should on my video monitor, that is, not washed out!!!

When I then go into edit, boom, it appears washed out.... I checked in Color with timeline selected, there is nothing applied to the timeline....

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 8, 2019 at 4:35:06 pm

Well did you try forcing it to data levels?

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Feb 8, 2019 at 4:41:48 pm

Also are your monitoring output levels correct for your monitor?

Return to posts index

Enginn Heima
on Feb 8, 2019 at 5:48:56 pm

How do you "force" it to data levels? I did right the click the clip in the media pool, selected clip attributes and turned it from "auto levels" to "data levels"...

And how can I verify if "I'm monitoring output levels correct yo my monitor"?

Thanks for the help!!

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 8, 2019 at 5:47:13 pm

Make sure you read the DisplayCal documentation - it gives you a lot more information that you need to know to do this properly.

https://hub.displaycal.net/wiki/3d-lut-creation-workflow-for-resolve/

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

Enginn Heima
on Feb 8, 2019 at 6:04:34 pm

Thank you for the suggestion, but I did read that plenty of times beforehand, and I don't see how it could resolve my problem? What am I missing here?

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Feb 9, 2019 at 5:26:35 pm

Start with a simplier workflow...don't use Resolve color management until you understand what it is doing. Just set your color science to Resolve YRGB. (Most of these settings should be left alone for new users)

If you have a 3d lut from Calman, and it was created correctly, for your monitor, you would enter that under 3d video Monitor Look up table, which it looks like you have done.

But it is possible your Resolve color management is screwing up the input look of your original clips. Turn that off and start slower.

If it still looks wacked out, I would go back through CalMan again, to verify your LUT is correct.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Enginn Heima
on Feb 9, 2019 at 7:37:12 pm

Thanks, I will try to generate a new LUT and see if I get any luckier ☺

But can you tell me, why does the clip look when previewed in media pool and not in edit nor in color my de? Is this normal?

Return to posts index

Dan Powers
on Mar 21, 2019 at 3:05:20 pm

I think this is what you are looking for. When your raw clip is in media pool it looks fine. Go into Edit or Color and it is flat. When putting that same clip in Premiere it looks correct. Is this what you are seeing?

IF so, while in Premiere right click on the clip in the project window and choose the option of "Disable Master effects".
Did it go to flat color?

What is happening is that there is metadata with the imported clip and that meta data tells premiere pro to enable a LUT to make it look correct.

While in Color, you need to manually set the LUT on the clip.

I hope this explains what you are seeing.

Dan

Return to posts index

Enginn Heima
on Feb 11, 2019 at 4:51:18 pm

I tried switching the Color management to "Resolve YRGB" instead of "Color managed" but that did not change anything. I then tried to run DisplayCal again and created my 3D LUT once more, but neither did that change anything.

Anyone? Any more ideas!?

And just a simple question, why are my clips showing up decently in the Media Pool tab and not in the EDIT and COLOR tabs? Is this normal that it shows up differently in Media Pool?

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Feb 11, 2019 at 10:55:36 pm

I don't really have anything against Resolve Color Management, other than I am suspicious of attempts to deploy proprietary approaches.

Also before I was ready to embrace ACES, when it was in the Release 0.n versions, I took the trouble to reverse- engineer linear transforms of my own, with the help of various cinematographers, charts, many cameras and a lot of patience and scope reading.

For log projects, ACES is an automatic, pretty much default choice for me now. If something isn't working, something is wrong -- and I will choose the shortest, simplest strategy every time. Choose the I/O transforms, apply them, go to work. I do not support LUT displays for judgement or conversion. On one hand, too crude, on the other, no control.

In the past, I have developed tables for the User Interface -- so that clients looking over my shoulder do not question the pass-through values that may appear differently on the Resolve edit/grade preview pane. It is absolutely why it is not the best, first choice for making grade judgements when they have to count. I also only use Client-3 Calman profiles developed with a sensitive probe for my iMac and do not use Apple characterizations. For so many reasons. The main system graphic display for the User Interface was almost close-enough after some time spent with CalMan just creating an Advanced User RGB balance in the monitor's own adjustment software. Actually close enough to not bother with a display LUT. It's better when there are fewer interventions.

jPO, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]