FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exported Video Way Too Dark

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Herrick
Exported Video Way Too Dark
on Jan 29, 2019 at 11:56:48 pm

I've spent about 3 weeks correcting and grading a short film, assuming I had my project settings all correct.
Here are my project settings:
Color Science: DaVinci YRGB Color Managed
Input: Bypass (since I have footage from mixed sources)
Timeline and Output Color Space: Rec.709 Gamma 2.4

I've tried various codecs, inc. GoPro CineForm YUV 10-bit, Apple ProRes 422 HQ, and H.264 and different data levels (I was getting glitches on my exported video until I used the CineForm)

I am trying to get my footage back into Premiere via XML—however it's all coming out WAYYY too dark...
This project is due in two days so any solution that doesn't necessitate me redoing everything would be VERY helpful!
Thank you!

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Exported Video Way Too Dark
on Jan 30, 2019 at 4:24:57 am

Do you have a calibrated reference monitor or are you using the GUI viewer?

Return to posts index

Charlie Herrick
on Jan 30, 2019 at 3:46:02 pm

I'm just using two Samsung U28E590D 28-Inch 4k UHD LED-Lit Monitors with an X-rite Colormunki calibration device that monitors the ambient light in the room... So no professional grading monitor unfortunately.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jan 30, 2019 at 7:32:43 am

Tero's advice is good.

I would also suggest that you always export a second or two of SMPTE color bars and a grayscale ramp. Look at those on the scopes within Resolve, and then check the exported video on the scopes within Premiere. If the signals don't line up in the same places, then you have a settings problem. Typically, that boils down to "Video vs. Full" Data Levels.

Jonny Elwyn also had a good piece on color management that explains why things sometimes change with video viewed in operating systems or other programs:

https://jonnyelwyn.co.uk/film-and-video-editing/colour-management-for-video...

When you know that black levels have to be at 0, and the peak white pulse has to be at 100, it's pretty easy to troubleshoot this and figure out where the settings are off.

Return to posts index

Charlie Herrick
on Jan 30, 2019 at 4:43:56 pm

Thank you! Thank looks like a great article to study...
At this point I'm trying to figure out a quick fix for the work I've already done.
Weirdly, without changing any other settings, I added a timeline node with a gamma boost but it still came out looking the same...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]