DavinciResolve Export Messed Up (Again)

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Fusakle
DavinciResolve Export Messed Up (Again)
on Jan 15, 2019 at 7:53:07 pm
Last Edited By David Fusakle on Jan 15, 2019 at 8:21:32 pm

Hi Guys!

I'm sorry to bother you again with a question that was asked so many times. But until now I didn't have any problem with Export video matching what I see inside DavinciResolve Preview, BUT NOW I have. Have gone through all the threads. Tried all the possibilities - changing in settings Color Management - Input / Outpul all the combinations, but nothing.

The problem is I have seen threads that the color / gamma / contrast does not match after export the preview which is in DavinciResolve, but my problem is even the quality is low AND doesn't match the look.

Using Sony A7 series - XAVC S HD - 50 fps
Win 7 64bit (I know I should upgrade, but before it worked perfectly with Win 7, so that's why I'm surprised now it doesn't)
GTX 1050 TI
Dell U2412m with HDMI connected to GTX 1050 Ti (not calibrated, but doesn't matter as what I'm trying to achieve is the same look on the same monitor)

Usually work with the default settings where color management is set to Davinci YRGB and don't change anything, so Input / Timeline / Gamma rec. 709 2.2 or 2.4

From wedding trying to deliver to client.

Tried to export every possible variation:
QuickTime H.264 (Quality - Best = doesn't work as you know with Win 7, but Restrict to - 100.000 worked)
MP4 H.264 (same as above)
QuickTime Uncompressed
TIFF sequence (this was the only one which after export matched the look of DavinciResolve preview)

The problem is even a huge quality difference. Two screenshots, one from DavinciResolve preview other from exported video:
https://imgur.com/a/8PhS6oM
https://imgur.com/a/yIql41z

Would appreciate any help.

Return to posts index

Peter Robertson
Re: DavinciResolve Export Messed Up (Again)
on Jan 16, 2019 at 11:08:55 am

Hi David
I also have this problem. I previously worked with FCP7 but have recently switched to Resolve 15.2 Studio on a 2018 iMac.
My exports are washed out. The problem is when you view the export with Quicktime. I imported the exported clip back into Resolve and the effect was nolonger present. So it seems that Resolve internally is consistent with the clips but external to Resolve there is a problem. I have also spent hours trying to find a solution. I will do a check again on my other iMac with the same content but with FCP7.
Most comments on this problem propose using an calibrated monitor - but is the digital USB3/Thunderbolt 3 output any different from the data used by Quicktime internally?
Hope we find a solution.
Cheers
Peter

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 16, 2019 at 1:05:18 pm

Quicktime player is the likely problem, not Resolve. Try other players like VLC. Also avoiding .mov might help with gamma errors on playback with other players. Judging output on computer screens with players like QT is more likely to reveal issues that have nothing to do with Resolve.

Return to posts index

David Fusakle
on Jan 16, 2019 at 1:11:10 pm

I'm using VLC, because I heard QuickTime player is not the best tool.

I exported as "Quicktime + Uncompressed" and also "QuickTime + Photo JPG". In both cases the quality was the same or very very similar as in DavinciResolve preview.

But now the problem is when I try to convert from these two files to either MP4 H.264 or QuickTime H.264, then the delivered/exported file is again bad. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Peter Robertson
on Jan 17, 2019 at 9:23:18 am

Hi Michael
Many thanks for the info on VLC. That was the answer for me. Playing my exported files with VLC gives me exactly what I See in the Resolve viewer. I have now made VLC my default video player.
Thanks
Peter

Return to posts index

Mike Harper
on Jan 17, 2019 at 2:06:46 am

Question. Did you match the exported file back in resolve and compare to the output of the original with same settings?

Mike Harper
http://www.editscore.com/
http://editscore.sourceaudio.com

Return to posts index

David Fusakle
on Jan 17, 2019 at 3:55:33 pm

Not sure I understand your question properly, but will try to answer anyway.

When I bring back the exported files - any of them - then again it looks good in Resolve. But from whichever format I try to make the QuickTime H.264 or MP4 H.264 it's always very very bad.

I also tried to use Pavtube video converter and the result was same as in Davinci. So the problem isn't with Davinci, but with my computer settings somewhere. Was trying to research again what can be the problem, but no luck.

Return to posts index

David Fusakle
on Jan 18, 2019 at 2:32:27 pm

UPDATE:

After I tried to convert the footage on another PC with Windows 10 64bit the result was unfortunately the same as encoding/converting on my Win 7 64bit computer.

So NOW, now I have really no idea how to solve it.... and what causes the problem.

Return to posts index

David Fusakle
on Jan 18, 2019 at 5:10:10 pm

UPDATE 2:

If I upload the Motion JPG video to Vimeo the video looks good.

After I downloaded the video from Vimeo and watched in Chrome it looked good.

I thought in VLC will be also great, because Vimeo did the conversion. Opened in VLC = terrible.

Tried Windows Media Player - good.

So, I tried all my previous videos in Chrome and Windows Media Player - good.

VLC - doesn't matter which h.264 conversion I try to play in it. Terrible.

Someone save my life 😃 I have to deliver this footage, but this is like a nightmare.

Return to posts index

David Fusakle
on Jan 18, 2019 at 5:18:05 pm

UPDATE 3:

Brought the footage to another computer with Win 10 - open footage in Windows Media Player - terrible.

Return to posts index

David Fusakle
on Jan 19, 2019 at 2:19:00 pm

FINAL UPDATE:

In case someone would find this thread:

Upgraded to Win 10. Problem solved.

I really liked Win 7, but looks like Davinci and H.264 didn't, so there was no other choice. Wish everyone best luck. Lost 3 days trying to figure it out how to make it work with Win 7. Conclusion - I was not able to make it work. Win 10 - feels a bit slower as my Win 7 felt, but looks like it's the way to go.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]