FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which bit depth does DaVinci Resolve grade in?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juan Juig
Which bit depth does DaVinci Resolve grade in?
on Jan 13, 2019 at 7:16:04 pm

Hello,

when grading in DaVinci resolve, the values on the scopes are displayed on the scale from 0 - 1023, meaning that colours are previewed as 10bit. Does DaVinci always previews colours this way?

If I for example import a clip that has 12 or 16 bit depth and the values on the scopes are still between 0 and 1023, does it mean that it downgrades footage to 10bit? I find this highly unlikely, so I presume that this 10bit values must only be for preview, while DaVinci treats colours in greater bit depth. Is there a specific value for the bit depth that DaVinci always uses?

Does DaVinci perhaps always use the bit depth of the clip with highest bit depth that is present on the timeline to grade all the clips on the timeline?

Best regards,

Juan

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
Re: Which bit depth does DaVinci Resolve grade in?
on Jan 13, 2019 at 7:54:31 pm

Processing is at 32 bit, unless using performance mode, when it is less (I think 16 bit) for playback only. All rendering processing for delivery is 32 bit unless I'm mistaken.

Return to posts index

Juan Juig
on Jan 13, 2019 at 10:44:42 pm

Thank you for your reply! Can anyone confirm for sure?

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jan 14, 2019 at 10:00:10 am

Try to totallly crash a shot, (crush all blacks, flatten out all hightlights)
Then add a node, and bring it back. Normally, this would be impossible, but in Resolve this is no problem at all.

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Feb 7, 2019 at 8:50:32 am

[Bouke Vahl] "Try to totallly crash a shot, (crush all blacks, flatten out all hightlights). Then add a node, and bring it back. Normally, this would be impossible, but in Resolve this is no problem at all."
That is not exactly true. It is possible to create a "destructive" correction early on in the process that can't quite be undone later on in the node tree. So there are limits, even with 32-bit float.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Feb 7, 2019 at 10:44:37 am

Ok, put your money where your mouth is.
Do show me a real world example that indeed will result in loss.

Bouke

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 4, 2019 at 12:43:41 am

I thought that 4K required 64 bit processing partly because of the bigger colour spectrum that it can resolve. I think that information would be in the HTML 2.1 specification. Perhaps this is all irrelevant but I know it is discussed.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 4, 2019 at 1:23:09 am

[Terence Christopher] "I thought that 4K required 64 bit processing.."

I think you might be confused by Operating System bit depth, file wrap formats like Quicktime and the actual bit depth process of digital video. Resolve is 32 bit floating point which has a greater dynamic range than 64 bit fixed. It has more than enough for a typical 10 bit 4.2.2 4k digital video signal

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 4, 2019 at 4:50:28 am

Michael thanks for that correction. I did not know these issues. I have a lot to learn!!
Terence

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 4, 2019 at 6:38:05 am

I had a head start with my father who designed microwave communications gear including broadcast TV links, plus working in broadcast telecine 1976, then dabbling in digital audio from 1984, through to digital video when it first appeared. Color space, bit depth and technical specs have been bread & butter for many years and it does take some time to get your head around what it all means.

If it's any consolation, I still have to bone up on the changing landscape of high dynamic range variances and compatibility in all the different color spaces. Never stop learning

Return to posts index

Sebastian Leitner
on Feb 3, 2019 at 12:32:05 pm

yes, resolve works with 32bits float internally (as does fcpX by the way) but monitoring (waveforms etc) are limited to 10bit because people usually only need it for broadcast? 12bits is the maximum and used in cinemas only. as already mentioned, that does not mean the information is not there! in avid you are stuck with 8bit monitoring for example. does not mean correct 10bit export is not possible.

Return to posts index

Terence Christopher
on Feb 4, 2019 at 12:49:18 am

I apologise for the error I should have said HDMI

Return to posts index

Juan Juig
on Feb 4, 2019 at 9:54:44 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Mr. Leitner, I have to correct you though. Avid also supports 10bit monitoring. You just have to enable it in the bottom left corner. You need to switch from "full resolution" to 10 bit full resolution. It's the yellow/green rectangle that affects only the preview quality.

Cheers,

Juan

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Feb 5, 2019 at 7:03:21 am

[Juan Juig] "that affects only the preview quality."

Not entirely true. On Mac, this also affects mixdown quality. (Not codec, but what is inside.)

Bouke

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Feb 9, 2019 at 5:36:33 pm

True, some plugins in Avid will tell you to switch to 10 bit before using them for best results in the analyze mode.

Adding a LUT at certain locations in the node tree I believe will cause destruction of the 32 bit float theory.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]