FORUMS: list search recent posts

Surround Sound Monitoring

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Edwards
Surround Sound Monitoring
on Jan 12, 2019 at 3:16:29 pm

How do I monitor surround sound in DVR15 Studio on my PC?

I have been able to export it, but not monitor it on the fly. I have two audio options: a SoundBlaster Z card and a Matrox MX02 but despite many attempts using various settings "live" monitoring has so far proven impossible.

Return to posts index

Declan Smith
Re: Surround Sound Monitoring
on Jan 12, 2019 at 4:38:29 pm

I had similar problems being able to monitor 5.1 but I now have a working 5.1 monitoring setup. This is how I've configured my system.

In Resolve preferences, System->Video and Audio I/O check you have a Speaker setup that configures your channels, I have a Behringer-FCA610 interface, and here is the setup.

For the Main Output, I have the following:

In fairlight, the meters section will have selectable sets to choose from that match what you have configured above. You can send output to specific speaker sets.

In my setup, in fairlight I have created a number of submixes:

Sub 1 - Dialogue
Sub 2 - Atmos
Sub 3 - SFX
Sub 4 - Music

I have also created two MAINS.

MST - Main Stereo Mix
M5.1 - 5.1 Surround Mix

I route each audio track to required submix bus and all the Submixes are sent to both MAIN mixes as below:

For monitoring purposes I assign the Main 2 to either the CR Main or CR 5.1 depending on what / how I want to monitor.

Stereo

My external mixer has the sound interface outputs feeding the required speaker (L,R,C,LFE,RL,RR). All surround panning is done on an individual track basis. The reason I have two Mains is that I can easily output a 5.1 mix and a stereo mix from the deliver page.

Hope this helps.

Declan Smith
http://www.madpanic.tv
Davinci Resolve 15.2 / Reason 10 / BlackMagic URSA Broadcast / Zoom F8 / FCPX / Adobe CS6 / FCS3 / Roland R26 / Canon XLH1 / Canon 7D / Cubase

"it's either binary or it's not"

Return to posts index

Dave Edwards
on Jan 12, 2019 at 4:52:26 pm

Hi Declan,

Thank you very much for your comprehensive post: I'll look into this.

Dave

Return to posts index

Dave Edwards
on Jan 15, 2019 at 10:07:17 am

Hi Declan,

Thank you again for your post but I've had no success with monitoring surround sound. It may be that the hardware you are using is relevant. Cheers,

Dave Edwards

Return to posts index

Declan Smith
on Jan 15, 2019 at 1:17:29 pm

In my setup, most of my problems were due to connecting my audio interface via firewire as I don't think resolve recognises it. When I switched it to USB, all the channels worked. Are you able to setup the speakers in the video preferences and see all the channels available to your sound card?

Declan Smith
http://www.madpanic.tv
Davinci Resolve 15.2 / Reason 10 / BlackMagic URSA Broadcast / Zoom F8 / FCPX / Adobe CS6 / FCS3 / Roland R26 / Canon XLH1 / Canon 7D / Cubase

"it's either binary or it's not"

Return to posts index

Dave Edwards
on Jan 15, 2019 at 3:13:05 pm

Yes: I can allocate the channels and stereo is fine but.. the rest is silence.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]