FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to log interviews in Davinci? <----newbie

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Neighbors
Best way to log interviews in Davinci? <----newbie
on Jan 12, 2019 at 4:56:51 am

I'm just checking out Davinci to consider switching over to it from Vegas Video. Much of the work I do is documentary-style short promotional videos (Intervews + b-roll).
What is the recommended approach to logging/binning interview soundbytes in an interview?

In Vegas I would open the raw interview video file in the 'trimmer' and listen to it, hitting "I" & "O" to set in and out points, then I would hit "R" to create a region and type a brief note about what was said there, maybe with one or two asterisks to indicate a great soundbyte. Each interview might have 20-30 of these named regions when I'm done going through an interview. If I drop one of these named regions onto the timeline, I could visually see the regions and their labels (the note I typed) embedded on the clip's event on the timeline. This way I can easily visually see exactly where a specific soundbyte is in my project without having to go through and listen to them.

So far I haven't really found another editing platform that can do that except maybe Final cut and I don't have a mac. I honestly can't understand how anyone can edit multiple long interviews without some way of logging them and sorting sound bytes.

Any help is appreciated.

Tim Neighbors
invisibleharness.com
FB.com/invisibleharness
instagram.com/invisibleharness

Return to posts index

Declan Smith
Re: Best way to log interviews in Davinci? <----newbie
on Jan 12, 2019 at 10:27:37 am
Last Edited By Declan Smith on Jan 12, 2019 at 10:56:33 am

DaVinci Resolve has Duration Markers. I used these on an interview piece I did recently. On the media page, double click your interview clip (or multicam clip if you have multiple angles) and this will load it into the viewer. Now play your clip and mark in/out on the segment you want. Next go to the menu item Mark->Convert in/out to duration Marker. Whilst the marker is highlighted, select Shift-M (or menu Mark->Modify Marker), and a dialog will pop up allowing you to rename the marker and add notes etc.

Now in the media pool, your clip will have a disclosure triangle and a new marked region called whatever you typed in the name field. I tend to write the first line of the dialog making it quick to build the story. Your media pool will look something like this:

When you want to add a region into your timeline, you can simply just drag the region onto your timeline. The nice thing about this is you can fine edit in the timeline as these regions are just markers, and for multicam clips, you can switch cameras as needed in the timeline.

You have an added advantage with Resolve. If you build your interview piece by audio queues (i.e. to get the story), Resolve has an amazing video transition built in called "smooth cut". On many clips this will do such a smooth transition that you wouldn't see jump cuts as long as you keep the transition between 2 & 6 frames long and there isn't a massive amount of movement. It's great for taking out umms & arhhs and making your interviewee a fluid speaker.

Declan Smith
http://www.madpanic.tv
Davinci Resolve 15.2 / Reason 10 / BlackMagic URSA Broadcast / Zoom F8 / FCPX / Adobe CS6 / FCS3 / Roland R26 / Canon XLH1 / Canon 7D / Cubase

"it's either binary or it's not"

Return to posts index

Tim Neighbors
Re: Best way to log interviews in Davinci? <----newbie
on Jan 13, 2019 at 12:22:08 am

Declan,
Beautiful, thank you so much for taking the time to put together this response. In some ways I like this more than Vegas ...in other ways not. These platforms should learn more from each other.

Out of curiosity, is there a way to navigate around on the viewer window timeline? -zoom in and out in time, forward and back in time? With a long clip open in the viewer it can be a bit crazy trying to hunt around when each inch of the timeline represents 30 minutes for example.

Thanks!

Tim Neighbors
invisibleharness.com
FB.com/invisibleharness
instagram.com/invisibleharness

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]