FORUMS: list search recent posts

unexpectedly slow performance

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yiannis Mozinakis
unexpectedly slow performance
on Dec 30, 2018 at 9:12:24 pm
Last Edited By Yiannis Mozinakis on Dec 30, 2018 at 9:13:47 pm

Greetings and wishes to all for the coming year.

I am working on a mid 2015 retina macbook pro (AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB), 16 GB RAM, and never had any trouble with Resolve up until now. That is, before upgrading to OS 10.14.1 Mojave. Now, the timeline editing is a pain, the blade cuts when applied take 1-2 seconds to be performed and there is a general lagginess of the user interface. No problem with the footage resolution or playability that is on a usb G-tech Gdrive. All footage is HD. I never imagined I'd have problems editing on my macbook, since I only edit 1080p, with straight cuts. Is my system so underpowered? Before Mojave, I was using OSX El Capitan, which was running flawlessly, and the last version of Resolve was working great, I think it was 14.

I hate to have to use fcpx for editing, I love resolve, but it is too slow and I cannot upgrade my equipment. Should I downgrade my OS? Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: unexpectedly slow performance
on Dec 30, 2018 at 10:23:50 pm

Resolve is now up to version 15.2.2 and has improved performance over version 14. Also it may be OK for the latest Mac OS. As a general rule check the BM support pages and forums before upgrading an OS to make sure you remain compatible with the software and your hardware.

Apple have a history of pushing out new OS that might make your hardware and other software obsolete. Unless there is a compelling reason to upgrade an OS it is always worth sitting for a while on an older version to see if compatibility issues pop up for others.

Return to posts index

Yiannis Mozinakis
on Dec 30, 2018 at 11:11:06 pm

thank you.
apparently my current user account is the culprit. I created a new one and there is a noticeable difference in UI speed and general lagginess. I would have happily stayed in El Capitan, as it was running great with my hardware, but it seems that version is quite obsolete as it is now longer supported by apple.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Dec 31, 2018 at 9:10:47 pm

High Sierra can work reasonably well. Mojave is a much bigger change as far as operating systems go, so it's possible your 2015 machine would work better under the older OS.

Return to posts index

Yiannis Mozinakis
on Jan 1, 2019 at 11:29:26 pm

So I decided to do a clean install. I thought things would run smooth an here is the funny thing:

I always create an admin user account and a standard user account for all everyday tasks. After my clean installation I checked on my standard account and the software is too slow. I logged into my admin account and Resolve runs much faster !! How is that even possible?

The only difference between the standard and the admin account is 15 gb files that were copied on the standard account. No preferences or system changes, just some photos, docs, movies etc.

Why is the admin account so much faster?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]