FORUMS: list search recent posts

mac to pc, premiere to resolve, xml hell...

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Jewesbury
mac to pc, premiere to resolve, xml hell...
on Nov 8, 2018 at 11:27:06 am

I'm in cross-platform hell here. I've edited in Premiere on Mac, and i've exported an XML to grade in Resolve which is on a PC in our grading suite (via an ExFAT-formatted external drive). Resolve is having trouble linking some files, and I think this is to do with long filenames in the source media. Some clips were not imported to the media pool despite being in the same location as others. And when I manually import the media, clips in the timeline are linked to the wrong media - with completely different filenames. As soon as I import one of the missing media files, lots of other clips are wrongly relinked.

I have a choice of either trying to go through my timeline one clip at a time and relink media, copying in and out points manually from my mac, or trying to rename the source files and clip names in my premiere project (again, presumably, one at a time, manually).

Is there *any* better choice at all? Pls don't give me lessons about using windows-compatible filenames from the outset, i had no idea i was going to windows so I made full use of the mac option to use long filenames.

Maybe the long filenames aren't the issue after all and this is just some sort of XML bug in resolve. Whatever it is, help.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: mac to pc, premiere to resolve, xml hell...
on Nov 8, 2018 at 1:18:13 pm

Where's your footage from? Does the footage have unique identifiers for Resolve to work with? For example timecode and/or reel names?

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Nov 8, 2018 at 9:38:57 pm
Last Edited By Brent Marginet on Nov 8, 2018 at 9:41:33 pm

So would any of the original clip filenames been renamed manually.

If so that could be whats causing some of your issues.
The golden rule is to never rename any clips filename under any circumstance.
Many cameras have Metadata files that go with each clip and so renaming them is a huge no no.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more. Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 8, 2018 at 10:10:19 pm

[Brent Marginet]"The golden rule is to never rename any clips filename under any circumstance."

Any circumstances? On a recent series shot with multiple Sony F5s we renamed all the camera original clips as each folder reset the file name to C00001. The post worked perfectly with all the correct files relinking. If we hadn't renamed the relinking would have been a catastrophe.

The key is to rename before any ingest and edit in Avid, Pr etc. Unique file names should be the rule. I agree, do not rename after editing but before, with the Sony cameras and Canon C100 you must.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 8, 2018 at 10:17:33 pm

I always import the media maintaining folder structure before importing the xml. I find Resolve handles that better.

In any cross platform, cross software transfer there will be a couple of files that need help for many reasons. If you have file names that have characters that are illegal or confusing (full stops) from mac to Win to Linux then you will have to relink them manually. The other gotcha is fonts. If you are transferring title generators pre load the font you used. These days editors either ask or just include the font on the hand over drive

More an more post facilities are switching to PC so they can get the form factor and GPU processing they need. Apple isn't making machines as suited to the processing and speed grunt that facilities require. Never assume you will be staying within the Mac OS environment. Those days are over.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]