FORUMS: list search recent posts

Calibrated Environment to Resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thiery Peleias
Calibrated Environment to Resolve
on Nov 6, 2018 at 2:47:44 am

Hi, how are you? I would ask for help with calibrated environment.

I did everything I could. 5 months, testing, reading, seeing recommendations, tutorials and etc ... and I can not get a good result from a calibrated environment for Resolve.
There must be some mystery known only to professionals and I assume my total lack of understanding.

Is it possible, for mere mortals, that the Viewer display the same result in the output?

❤Equip
- Asus PA249Q Monitor
- HDMI from Gtx1060
- Color Munki Display
- Material with EOSHD C-LOG and Cinestyle.

I try many options, put the basic;
Asus PA249Q with Gamma 2.2, calibrate with Displaycal in Rec709 / 1889 D65.
In Resolve I have tried several options of color space, color space transform, data levels video or full.

But Resolve Viewer always shows different from rendering on output. Completely different contrast and saturation.

I check the result on mobile phone and other monitors and I have now discovered Media Player Classic Home Cinema (with rendering color management enable) that shows me very accurate results of what I see on other non-calibrated monitors.

[b]Does anyone have the workflow of how to make a calibrated environment?[/b]

I'll be honest, I'm very discouraged 😓😥😔 ...

Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Calibrated Environment to Resolve
on Nov 6, 2018 at 4:24:47 am

https://www.lightillusion.com/error.html

BT1886 can be a problem on displays with lifted blacks, due to the way it raises gamma in the shadow region. This causes the shadows to become washed-out, which in turn will cause the colourist to attempt to grade the shadows darker. When the graded footage is then viewed on a display with a standard power law gamma, or a display with a lower black and calibrated to BT1886, the shadows will appear crushed.

Return to posts index

Thiery Peleias
on Nov 9, 2018 at 4:45:53 am

I'm sorry for my super ignorance. But I can not understand how the MPC-HC (with color managment actived and the calibrated color profile in windows 10) can show me a very close result, but the Resolve Display can not.

Image of a scene with low illumination. Resolve's display is very different, desaturated and shadows will appear crushed.

😳😳😳
Am I not doing something wrong? Is not there something right to do?

(I've read the material from http://www.lightillusion, and I've seen that colormunki does not work with their applications, so I have to see another palatative solution)

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Nov 6, 2018 at 7:16:29 am

I'd say to start off, don't try using a computer monitor like an Asus. It's not good enough for grading.

There are modest-priced consumer displays like the LG OLEDs (particularly the C8/E8) series that can calibrate to Rec709 pretty well. Calman and Light Illusion both have great systems for monitor calibration, but they're not cheap.

Alexis Van Hurkman covers what goes into a professional color grading room in his book Color Correction Handbook. Placing low-level 6500° lighting behind the monitor and 18% neutral gray walls is also helpful. The SMPTE recommended practice document RP166-1995 covers this in detail. I've got some documents on HDR and Rec709 up at this link:

https://spaces.hightail.com/space/YRh1w7BlPO

Return to posts index

Thiery Peleias
on Nov 6, 2018 at 2:44:14 pm

Thank you very much.
I'm reading the references to be able to have any questions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]