FORUMS: list search recent posts

Contrast change after update to resolve 15

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tristan Hachmeister
Contrast change after update to resolve 15
on Apr 20, 2018 at 11:45:45 am

Hallo guys and gals,

I recently updated to resolve 15 and now the shift in contrast and color appears again.

My workflow is:

Editing in Premiere, XML-Export to Resolve, Roundtrip to Premiere Pro.
I'm using a MacBook Pro (no Retina). I KNOW, that this is not a professional Monitor, etc.

But with the unchecked "Use Mac Color Display..." box, all Clips set to data-level and Timeline Gamma set to 2.2 I was pretty satisfied and the difference after the roundtrip were hardly visible.

When I open up a project in Resolve 15 now which I graded in Resolve 12, the contrast and Saturation are messed up (blacks fully crashed). In the viewer and also in the parade.

Please don't tell me to buy a professional monitor. I just want the look of Resolve 12 back. Is there a way? Any hidden feature? Did they change the engine or why does this happen?

Thanks in advance for your answers and have a nice weekend!
Cheers
Triz

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Contrast change after update to resolve 15
on Apr 20, 2018 at 3:40:11 pm

[Tristan Hachmeister] "(blacks fully crashed)"

Usually means you have the video range set incorrectly. "Full" RGB vs "Video"Linear -- the difference between 64-940 and 0-1024.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Tristan Hachmeister
on Apr 25, 2018 at 5:21:52 pm

I always set all clips to Full after the XML import. I did this also in Resolve 12.
When grading a new project without the stills from 12, it works for me this way:

Setting the Data-Levels of the imported clips in Resolve to "Full", grade them and then (for the roundtrip) set the format to ProRes422 and under the advanced settings set the Data-Level to "Video".

Now the files look the same in both programs.

Return to posts index

Sebastian Leitner
on Feb 4, 2019 at 9:47:47 am

have you tried this:

also: you should use video levels (most formats use it and if you override more shifts are likely to happen)
resolve changed the underlying engine and now works better with apple's colorsync.
also: the viewer in resolve never shows the accuracy what an output via decklink would. sadly but that's how they get you to spend money ☺ also, most formats are also rec709 gamma 2.4 – you should use resolve's standard project settings about color which uses this automatically and compensates for your 2.2 system.

Return to posts index

Tristan Hachmeister
on Feb 5, 2019 at 9:50:23 am

Thanks, I'll try the colourprofile from the video.
But everything works fine with new projects and with the data/video-levels settings, I mentioned before.

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Feb 5, 2019 at 7:02:12 am

And read this:

https://jonnyelwyn.co.uk/film-and-video-editing/colour-management-for-video...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]