FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gpu

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Davis
Gpu
on Jan 8, 2018 at 4:35:46 pm

Hi all,

Sorry not really a user question but more of a will/has it worked for you. Currently using a Nvidia Quadro 4000 for Resolve and it's had it's day not least because it's not supported on 14. I'm looking at the Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB as a replacement. At the moment I'm running a 2010 Mac Pro Quad Core 16gig ram GT 120 for the GUI connected to a Flanders grading monitor via Decklink HD Extreme 3D+. I know all very old but has been a good workhorse! Anyone with a similar setup having success?

Thanks for any help
Dan

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
Re: Gpu
on Jan 9, 2018 at 7:08:03 am

I’m using GTX-980Ti’s with great results on my two 12 Core 2012 Mac Pro’s wth EL Capitan. I’ve mentioned this because if you are going to use a Pascal Card like the GTX-1080 you must be running at least Sierra 10.12.4 or higher. I’m currently upgrading to Sierra for Resolve 14 myself and will stay with the 980Ti’s. Because the PCIe Bus Architecture on those Mac Pros are Gen 2 there will most likely be absolutely no increase in performance with the 1080’s. I saw almost no improvement when I went from 980’s to my current 980Ti’s but since I picked up two Ti’s for $500 on eBay I got rid of the 980’s anyway.

I’ve heard of people having success with the 1080 but I haven’t tried one myself. If you are using a GT-120 for your GUI then you can use a PC Version of the 1080. If you want to just use a PC Version of the 1080 alone then you will have to install the OS and Nvidia Drivers with the 120 installed and then remove it after a reboot and a full system shut down. I turn on Screen Sharing because evertime Apple releases a seurity update the monitors go blank until the Nvidia Web Drivers are updated. I remote into the system via Screen Sharing after the Security Update Reboot, install the Nvidia Drivers, Reboot and my Monitors come up again.

Note: You can find all the Nvidia Web Drivers at MacVidCards.com.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.
Hard Drives are now stupidly cheap. A RE-SHOOT AND YOUR TIME AREN'T."

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 9, 2018 at 7:10:50 am

[Brent Marginet] "I’m currently upgrading to Sierra for Resolve 14 myself and will stay with the 980Ti’s."

You need to keep an eye on which NVIDIA cards are supported with version 14. Some older cards have been retired from compatible. The Blackmagic support page or their forum has a list.

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jan 9, 2018 at 8:24:44 am

Actually I’m not to worried about the compatibilty of the 980Ti’s with Resolve because I have a 3,1 Mac Pro with a 4gb GTX-680 and it’s still fully compatible. It’s ancient compared to the 980Ti so it will be awhile before I have to toss the 980Ti’s.

"MY MEDIA/PROJECT MOTTO: If you think three copies of your Media or Projects are enough. Take a moment to place a value on them and then maybe add two more.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 9, 2018 at 9:16:16 am

Fair enough. The fact Blackmagic are warning that older cards are not compatible is cause for me to pay attention.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 9, 2018 at 9:53:43 am

They've upped the CUDA compute capability requirements from 12.5 to the new version. If you have a fairly new card then it should work but it's culling some older cards.

Return to posts index

Luca de Sensi
on Jan 10, 2018 at 2:45:42 pm

Hi Brent,
just wondering how do you power two cards on your Mac?
I have a Mac Pro 4.1 with a single R9 280x and that seems to overburden the machine.... no real test so far, but....

Thank You,
Luca

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jan 10, 2018 at 4:46:44 pm

There are two ways to use two cards on a Mac Pro.

First one is to put them in a Cubix x16 Chassis but those things are just so over priced. The second way is to use an external ATX Power supply to power the two video cards but you would have to have a bit of electronic knowledge to do this. The ground from the power supply should be connected to at least the case of the Mac Pro and small transistor circuit is needed to turn it on when the Mac Pro turns on. I just tapped the trigger circuit from the PCIe power connectors that originally powered the video card.

Return to posts index

Luca de Sensi
on Jan 12, 2018 at 3:50:05 pm

Thank you Brent.
I'm already upgrading the machine from 2 x 2,26 quad core to 2 x 3,46 six core.... so, might as well give it a try and add a second power supply using your method.
Could you share pictures and info on your upgrade or point to some schematics? I think some of us, still with a single graphic card in our system, could benefit from any info available to extend our Mac Pro lifespan...

Cheers,
Luca

Return to posts index

Brent Marginet
on Jan 12, 2018 at 11:29:23 pm
Last Edited By Brent Marginet on Jan 12, 2018 at 11:30:25 pm

Here's how I did it.
Use at least a 500W PSU for two Video Cards.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]