FORUMS: list search recent posts

Disappointed

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Filewych
Disappointed
on Dec 7, 2017 at 4:24:24 pm

Kinda disappointed with this forum - I've posted a few times and crickets. I really love Resolve and want to use it in more robust circumstances while editing (for my features or drama episodic) but the lack of proper audio exports and lack of support from anywhere has turned me right off again... I hope your community gets better. Later.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Disappointed
on Dec 7, 2017 at 6:32:40 pm

Sorry we can't help on with those questions. Most of us use Resolve as a video online solution only...The main edit done in another application, and we bring it into Resolve to finish the picture portion. And then the audio is handed to the audio mix from the original editing app...be it FCX, Premiere or Avid. Very few people use Resolve as an complete editing solution currently, and obviously there are still issues with doing that, like getting the audio the mixer needs to do the mix.

If I had solutions I'd speak up, but I don't...sorry about that. I don't respond with a "sorry, I don't know" because then someone might see that "Oh, Shane responded, he must have had the solution, so I won't read that one.."

If BMD wants to tout Resolve as a full editing solution, they'll need to work out this audio delivery pretty soon. There might be steps laid out in the manual, did you check there? I know it's HUGE and daunting (which is why I rarely go there) but it might offer the solution.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 7, 2017 at 9:53:28 pm

The clear direction for Resolve with the inclusion of Fairlight is that the audio will not need to go out to another system. That said BM included AAF export to ProTools a while back. I presume you are using that preset to export the audio. I know a bug where handles were not being exported was reported and I don't know if that is fixed or not and I assume you know how to set those handles. There are NLE's like FCPX that can't export an AAF without third party apps like X2Pro. And as Shane said, Resolve is used by most of us to finish, although I have used it occassionally as an edit and finish tool and I have been able to export an AAF with handles, but I haven't tested it on version 14.

There are many threads that don't get an immediate response which as Shane said is because it is an unfamiliar thing or people here don't have an answer or direct experience. When that happens, raising a second thread doesn't help. It shows both impatience and and expectation that we must quickly respond. I was about to respond to your first thread when the second one popped up. So I didn't. Now you are complaining like we owe you something. People like Shane & I have answered thousands of queries from people over the past ten years, often for people who pop on, ask away then never contribute or share their knowledge with others.

Return to posts index

Ken Filewych
on Dec 8, 2017 at 5:41:57 pm

You can read it as complaining and that you owe me something but that's not how I see it. I've been doing this for 25 years and know a little bit about edit communities.. it was not my intent to offend but to inform. I will not bother you again.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 7, 2017 at 11:18:03 pm

Isnt this the same issue with the other NLE options ☺

Where audio is always treated as a secondary.

Return to posts index

Duke Sweden
on Dec 7, 2017 at 11:29:25 pm

Just include the line "I've looked every where and I can't find a solution" and Tero will pop up with the page in the manual with your answer 😉

Works for me!

Dell XPS 8920
Intel i7 core 7700 build
GeForce GTX 1050ti
32 Gigs of RAM
3 7200 RPM SATA Drives
Windows 10 64-bit
DaVinci Resolve 14.0.1

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 8, 2017 at 1:11:55 am

[Eric Santiago] "Isnt this the same issue with the other NLE options ☺

Where audio is always treated as a secondary."

No. Avid is designed to work within an "ecosystem" of various workflows, and part of that is getting audio to a professional mix...and it can do it multiple ways. Either via EDL or AAF or AAF Embedded, and have handles or no handles or send ALL of the audio. FCP Legacy exports well to audio mixers...Premiere does a decent job. FCX doesn't at ALL without third party help because Apple doesn't cater to those who want to send audio out. They rely on third party partners.

Resolve CAN do this, but it's riddled with bugs. Like no handles, or audio from a synced clip having the name of the clip, NOT the audio file. Because it wasn't designed for this purpose...this stuff is an afterthought. And with Fairlight, BMD seems to be focusing on internal mixing...while a good many of us send the audio out to be mixed. We are editors, or online editors (picture editors), not audio people.

Sorry it was such a pain

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ken Filewych
on Dec 8, 2017 at 5:39:11 pm

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your thoughts on the subject. I know BMD has said it's a full edit suite now and it almost is... I'm glad I experimented as there are many features of the product I really like. I will just have to continue in other products when doing the "export for final audio" type projects.
Cheers.

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Dec 8, 2017 at 5:53:20 am

[Ken Filewych] "Kinda disappointed with this forum - I've posted a few times and crickets. I really love Resolve and want to use it in more robust circumstances while editing (for my features or drama episodic) but the lack of proper audio exports and lack of support from anywhere has turned me right off again..."
The reality is that there's always issues with getting edit lists from picture editors to sound editorial. For a lot of films, they completely dump all the editorial sound decisions and start over from scratch, using just a rough mix from the picture editor as reference.

You can recreate an entire Pro Tools session from an AAF from Avid or XMLs from Premiere or Resolve or FCPX by using 3rd-party tools like Comformalizer or Virtual Katy:

http://www.thecargocult.nz/conformalizer.shtml
http://www.virtualkaty.com/

These programs are not cheap, but many sound re-recording companies I know in LA use them every day, and many could not do their jobs if they didn't have them.

I do think once Fairlight is 100% there, it will be a serious, serious contender against Pro Tools for a lot of users. I could literally see some sound mixers buy Resolve solely for the Fairlight capabilities and never even tough the color features. It will eventually be there -- particularly when the accelerator cards and mixing panels are available.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 8, 2017 at 6:07:00 am

[Marc Wielage] "It will eventually be there -- particularly when the accelerator cards and mixing panels are available"

The CC-2 cards work already plus the Fairlight EVO mixer/ control panels work. I was told my old Xynergi control panel can be modded to work but I suspect I will wait for new panels that BM are no doubt working on. The old Fairlight panels are solid and expensive so I am expecting newer BM control/mix panels to be happening soonish (I hope).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]