FORUMS: list search recent posts

Syncing audio - Resolve 14

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edan Cohen
Syncing audio - Resolve 14
on Aug 11, 2017 at 3:04:09 am

Hello!

I'm a longtime Premiere using attempting to cut a project in Resolve 14. I shot my project with the audio recorded directly into the A camera. The B camera had its internal mic on to capture the room audio.

In Premiere I would simply drag both clips into the timeline, highlight the audio tracks, right click and choose "synchronize" and Premiere would automatically sync them based on the waveforms.

I can't find a similar workflow in Resolve. It seems the only auto-syncing is between camera audio and audio files recorded from a Zoom or other such device.

Is there an easy way to sync the audio tracks from video files?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: Syncing audio - Resolve 14
on Aug 11, 2017 at 6:17:17 am

The same tool is not currently in Resolve. For now, make a multicam clip from the pair in the media pool then place them in the a multicam timeline. Then select the timeline and 'open in place'.
There are more audio tools still in progress amongst our Fairlight integration.

Return to posts index

Edan Cohen
on Aug 12, 2017 at 1:43:46 pm

Thanks for the reply, Peter.

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
on Aug 15, 2017 at 11:06:31 am

Of course there are ways to manually sync audio to video, even without the slate. The trouble is it's only really feasible as long as you have a relatively small ingest. If you have LOTS of clips that need syncing, that it would be nightmarish to do it by hand.

There are third party solutions also available, such as Plural Eyes, if you have the budget for such an indulgence.

Return to posts index

Brendan Feely
on Jan 10, 2018 at 12:10:30 pm

Hi there Simon!

So we have had a major issue on set, the timecode between the sound device and camera is off for the entire shoot and there was no scratch track recorded on the camera itself, thus I have been tasked with syncing the old fashion way, I have got 20 scenes synced and ready for the editor within Resolve 14 but because I have synced manually and not using timecode; when I come to exporting the Proxies - I get no audio at all - I have tried numerous delivery and track settings and nothing seems to work.

I am able to get audio if I sync the clips by the Timecode (But it is incorrect so that is useless) I also get audio if I set the delivery to Single Clip as opposed to Individual Clips but then I loose the source name.

I saw that you said there are ways of syncing manually and just wanted to ask if you had any way around this, thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Simon Billington
on Jan 10, 2018 at 1:26:51 pm

Oh man, sorry to hear that. This sounds disastrous. Kind of one of those nightmare come true scenarios!!

Odd how the audio is not exporting with the proxies. This sounds to me like an oversight on behalf of Blackmagic. When you get a free moment I feel its worthwhile letting them know about this issue.

Unfortunately I don't have any answers for you right now, but give me a day or two I can look into it in further detail. It might help if you can post me a short sample of your video and audio to examine. Doesn't really have to be longer than 30-60 secs, so you wouldn't have to worry about any potential copyright issues with sharing the data.

Return to posts index

Brendan Feely
on Jan 10, 2018 at 2:27:47 pm

Hi Simon, thanks so much for the prompt reply.

Haha trust me it has been!

But just after I posted on the thread I actually made a bit of a discovery.

If you sync manually on the timeline ie. bringing in video and then bringing in audio and shifting the audio into the correct position - Resolve immediately thinks you are cutting and not creating proxies thus when it comes to exporting "Individual Clips' from that same timeline, it for some reason just neglects the audio.

If you roll back to your Media Tab - you will see that the video opens in one window and the audio opens in a separate window next to it - if you find the clap and the find the spike in the respective windows, there is a link button at the bottom of the waveform window - when you click this - it actually alters the Video's Metadata. It will change the "Type" from "Video" to "Video+Audio" you can then bring that same clip onto the timeline with all the other synced clips - this then tricks resolve into thinking that the video had audio the entire time and thus allows you to export the timeline as Individual Clips with the audio attached.

Sucks a bit cause I now have to ReSync everything but at least we can move on!

Thanks so much anyways!

All the best,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]