FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you change the "New Project" default setting?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Sargeant
How do you change the "New Project" default setting?
on Jul 6, 2017 at 8:48:09 pm

I have to go in and change from 24 fps to 29.97 fps every time I create a new project and I'm wondering how to change it so that it defaults to a 29.97 fps setting. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,
Jeff Sargeant
Videographer @
Flowmaster/Hurst/B&M

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
Re: How do you change the "New Project" default setting?
on Jul 6, 2017 at 10:17:22 pm

"I have to go in and change from 24 fps to 29.97 fps every time I create a new project" No

You can open Davinci Resolve - New Project - maybe call it: Default 29,97 fps - make the change to 29.97 fps in Resolve - then go to File - Save Project !

Next time you open Davinci Resolve - choose "Default 29,97 fps" project ! Start your work - and go to File - Save Project As - giv your project another name - next time again you will still have your "Default 29,97 fps" project when you open Davinci Resolve !

Return to posts index

Jeff Sargeant
on Jul 6, 2017 at 10:22:28 pm

That's a good work around, and I did think to do that as well... but I was curious if there was a way to change the default.
Thanks for your reply.

Jeff

Jeff Sargeant
Videographer @
Flowmaster/Hurst/B&M
Hayden, ID

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jul 7, 2017 at 2:31:19 am

I have a different method: I have one dummy "template" project for 23.976fps, and one for 24.00fps, and one for 29.97fps. In each, I create a bin structure, set all video parameters, tweak the Favorite transitions and so on, set colorspace, adjust panel settings, AutoSave turns on, and so on. When I start a new job, I choose which one of these templates I want to start with, then I do a Save-As with the name of the client and the new project name. Now, 90% of the setup is already done.

I do the same thing with word processors, editing programs, and sound programs, just to reduce setup time and to make sure all the fussy little background stuff is already set correctly without me having to check it.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 7, 2017 at 5:55:51 pm

[Marc Wielage] "I have a different method: I have one dummy "template" project for 23.976fps, and one for 24.00fps, and one for 29.97fps. In each, I create a bin structure, set all video parameters, tweak the Favorite transitions and so on, set colorspace, adjust panel settings, AutoSave turns on, and so on."

A little bit similar to how we used to work in DavSys hardware.

I used to have default configurations for gauge, fps, and so on... 16mm, s16mm, 35, super35, 4-perf, 3-perf...

Resolve 14 beta doesn't yet support Users, it seems.. but I'm thinking if I wanted a default config for different frame rates and so on... I'd create a 23.98 User, a 29.97 User... and no thinking after that. Or if you wanted to go alphabet soup, then knock yourself out with ACES, 709, HD, UHD, blah, blah, blah.

jPo, CSI

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Richard van Harderwijk
on Jul 8, 2017 at 1:41:07 pm

Try this:
  • open new project
  • don't do a thing in there, but go to settings
  • change whatever you need
  • save
  • quit

Return to posts index

Jeff Sargeant
on Jul 11, 2017 at 9:51:45 pm

Thanks for all the advice folks. I already make a dummy project with the correct FPS for each project type I need. I usually only work in 29.97 so I was wondering if there was a way to program the default "new project" command to be set to 29.97 and not 24. Some NLE's do have a similar setting. Apparently DR does not.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Sargeant
Videographer @
Flowmaster/Hurst/B&M
Hayden, ID

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 12, 2017 at 7:03:23 am

Once you open a new project you can apply pre saved defaults. Select the project settings menu (bottom right of screen) and at the top of the list above Project Master Settings is Presets. Setup as many variables as you can think of. No need to have saved version as projects and then save as afterwards. Messy.

I have a variety of frame rates and pixel aspects preset along with settings for the Decklink card (single link or dual link for 4k etc etc).

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jul 12, 2017 at 12:44:46 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Setup as many variables as you can think of. No need to have saved version as projects and then save as afterwards. Messy."
It's not messy when you consider I have to set up and configure about 50 different things, including bin structure, color space, Raw settings, timeline names, output render sources, control panel settings, often-used clips, start timecodes, test signals, slates, and other things. It's not just frame rate. The setup takes 5-10 minutes. Having 3 projects, each one set to a specific frame rate, takes me 5 seconds to do a save-as when I first start a project.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 17, 2017 at 10:48:33 pm

[Marc Wielage] "It's not messy when you consider I have to set up and configure about 50 different things"

I can see why you prefer the save as method. For me I am usually just taking in an XML and using pre existing folder structures to create bins from the editors drive. I sometime make some smart bins but they need to be defined by the job specifics for example shots on a specific camera or codec that need a LUT etc. Or grouping all drone shots to change the frame rate.

I used to do the save as but I switched to making presets as I found it quicker and a better way for me, rather than looking in the project list

Return to posts index

Jeff Sargeant
on Jul 17, 2017 at 5:25:53 pm

Thanks Michael, this was exactly what I was looking for. I knew there had to be a way without opening projects and doing "Save-As" every time.

Jeff Sargeant
Videographer @
Flowmaster/Hurst/B&M
Hayden, ID

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]